Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Jamie

Simple PLC needed to control outputs via timers

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I am looking for an inexpensive, simple to program PLC to do teh following for me: I want to control 6 relays which should turn on and off at preset times. (Real Time) It is going to be used to control different sets of lights that I need depending on teh time of day. Does anyone have an idea on how I should approach this? I have a PC that I could hook up to program the PLC but besides that I am new to programming. I'd have to learn. Of course, it only would make sense as long as I can do it fairly inexpensive :) Thanks in advance.

You can get home type stuff that does it quite well for reasonably cheap. however if I was choosing a PLC for that I would look seriously at the Zen from omron. I dont know if it has a real time clock but I am sure with some enginuity you could hack one together. Peace

What do you mean by "home" stuff and "reasonably cheap". I looked at digital timers but they only control 1 contact/outlet at a time. I needed more flexibility to turn things off and on individualy. Thanks for the quick response !!

Guest_Jamie: Please register at MrPLC.com and join the MRPLC.com community Register at MrPLC.com You might want to Google the phrase "X10".

I thought about X10 but I don't think it is very reliable. As far as I know it only send one impulse to activate teh unit. If that signal doesn't go through due to interference etc. then you are S.O.L. :( A simple to program PLC would do the trick more reliably. I looked at the ZEN and it looks like a nice unit but it might be a bit overkill. All I need to set up is multiple individual timed contacts based on the time of day.

How much money are you willing to budget? BTY, X10 has two-way transmission now. You send a command to an X10 device, and it will reply back to the master with a confirmation like X10 Commander software that runs on your PC. You just gotta make sure you get the right switches that support two way. Answer the above question and we might be able to help spec some better hardware though however.

I suppose the two way would work. I looked through the X10 stuff but there is no 2-way module availlable for my applications. The only two way module that I saw was for a soft dim lamp. I can't use that. To make it easier to understand what I need, here is my plan: Individually control 120 VAC lights and pumps to be turned on and off at preset times. Some need to run together, some run in sequence and some need to run by themselves. The solution should be affordable and easy to program as I don't speacial macro's etc. I have seen a lot of plug-in timers but they all contol one outlet only. There is nothing controls multiple units via one central timer. The x10 seems at first liek a viable solution but the lack of proper modules for my units and the need of a running PC for others that might work did turn my away from it. Unless I missed something ( or just plain didn't understand ), can a X10 controler be programmed via PC but then be used as a stand alone controler without the PC?

It doesn't sound like X10 is going to do you justice. X10 can be programmed from Commander software. However it is Macro based: http://www.smarthome.com/1620.html Also they do sell 120VAC modules that can control pumps to about 15A with 2-way control here: http://www.smarthome.com/2002S.HTML Get model number: ApplianceLinc 2-Way 3-Pin (#2002STW) or ApplianceLinc 2-Way 2-Pin (#2001STW) "ApplianceLinc 2-Way will provide intelligent controllers with status feedback, which is great for web and other "truly" remote control applications. " Have you looked at the AB Pico PLCs? http://www.ab.com/plclogic/pico/ Or TriPLCs? http://www.tri-plc.com/t100md888.htm What was wrong with ZEN omron suggestion>

The Pico Controller is exactly what I had in mind !! Thank you so much ! I found a website that sells them for $105. Is that a good price? looking at the cost of X10 with all the modules that I'd need, the Pico would be an all in one unit and a much cleaner solution. Again, thank you so much for your help !!!