Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HarrisonC

SLC500 hardware guidance

13 posts in this topic

First off, I'm incredibly new. I went to TSTC in Waco Texas which has a pretty good reputation. I graduated in May. I had an entire semester dedicated to RSLogix so I have a little background. My first PLC project was to automate a small lathe for heat treating. I used a MicroLogix1000 and did it all in about 29 lines. I was able to program it, and download it to the plc fairly easily. Since I was able to fumble through that project I was just handed a slightly larger sand silo project. My problem is the hardware side. I just dont know enough about it to make an informed decision. I believe I want to go with the SLC 500 series, but there are quite a few options. Can I please get some guidance on product selection? There will be no data recording, no 4-20mA signals. It's all just discrete/digital I/Os. I would imagine it's probably the most basic SLC 500 offered. I estimate 30 inputs & 24 outputs, and I need to be able to make it work with a RedLion HMI. Here is what I think I need: 1746-A7 (7 slot chassis) 1746 IA16 (16 input card)x3 1746 OA16 (16 output card)x2 Power supply? 120VAC- P1,P2,P4? Just about every output will power a control relay so the current draw should remain rather low. My biggest question is the processor. I'm in a bit over my head here. I don't think I need a very advanced processor, but that's about all I know. Is the processor where I'll communicate with the HMI, or do I need a communication module as well? Please know that I'm very new, but also very excited to be working in the field. I can't express the sense of satisfaction when that tiny little lathe eventually executed the exact intended process.

You will communicate with the processor directly, and if you choose a 5/03 or 5/04 (cheaper options), you will communicate with DH or DF1. However, the 5/05 gives you the option for Ethernet. Either way, you won't have any issue communicating with it. For power supplies, you'll be fine with any of them. With your desired setup, you won't be taxing any of them. Congrats and welcome to the field of automation. It's an addiction for some of us. Edited by phuz

The SLC-500 is slowly fading into the sunset, but controllers and I/O for that platform will be around for a long time. If you know the editing and addressing platform because you've already learned MicroLogix, it's easy to get into. Don't think about the old fixed-IO controllers, or the old SLC-5/01 or 5/02 models. The single DH485 network port is a headache. For a standalone system I would consider an SLC-5/03 or and SLC-5/05. Because you won't be connecting to a large PLC-5 based network, you don't need the Data Highway Plus port on an SLC-5/04 model. The 5/03 has one DH485 network port and one RS-232 serial port. The 5/05 has one Ethernet network port and one RS-232 serial port. Any Red Lion HMI can communicate with both. You'll have to figure out the exact Red Lion cable to go to the DH485 port on the SLC-5/03 if that's the controller you choose.

Another option to the SLC series is a ML1400 See link http://literature.ro...um002_-en-p.pdf Ken, is the party still going? Edited by Mickey

We've stopped to sweep up after the party, fix the stuff we broke Downtown, go make a beer run, and get ready for the victory parade tomorrow. I'm a big football fan and have seen some great games over the years, but this region-wide mania is absolutely unprecedented in the Northwest. I was listening online to KOA AM 850 from Denver and they were reminding people to take a deep breath, hug your loved ones, and try to get some perspective. It's just a game, after all. Meanwhile our most dour and sports-averse morning news radio anchor opened his Monday broadcast playing Queen's "We Are the Champions" as loud as the FCC and your tuner would permit. Edited by Ken Roach

Or if you don't have the software, consider the ML1100 which uses the free software.

All of yall are on it! Thanks a whole lot for the quality info. As far as the different SLC options that Ken posted, it seems like it's narrowed down to the different ports. I don't see what it would matter as long as any of them work? Mickey, I sure like that ML1400. It looks as if I would need 1766-L32AWA will a few expansion cards? maybe 2 input cards and 2 output cards? It seems like for 120VAC they only come in 8 input cards? http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/9071972/9072277/Digital-I-O-Modules.html It doesnt look like it has the individual LEDs like a ML100 or the SLC500 to show active I/Os? I'm kind of leaning toward the 5/03 controller

Let's discuss the I/O mix. MicroLogix controllers are offered in different versions with DC and AC and relay I/O points, to fit different applications. With modular SLC-500 controllers, you choose your modules 8, 16, or 32 points at a time. Explain why you want 120V AC I/O. Years ago, 120V AC I/O was very common in North America, but more and more we're seeing USA and Canada installations use 24V DC I/O like Europe uses. I sure like being able to work in a PLC cabinet without a shock hazard. You mentioned that most of the outputs are going to control relays; are those relays already existing, with 120V AC coils ?

I really don't have a reason for picking 120VAC. That's just what this shop is used to. They are new to automation, thats basically it. If I'm running to relays I can just get 24VDC coils and get 24VDC output cards as well, that's a good idea. Nothing is existing. This will be a 'ground up' sand silo plant in west Texas. Again, I'm fairly new to this. Thanks for the advice.

The parts list in my first post, basically a normal slc500 plc was quoted at right at $6000 from our supplier here in DFW. Is that about right? Seems a bit high

My opinion from past experience: The basic SLC 500 series is over 20 years old. There's a huge installed base, so A-B is not going to drop it, yet, but they do want to discourage people from using it in a new application. What's the best way to do that? Inflate the price. It sounds like you already have RSLogix 500, so unless there is some compelling reason for using an SLC (installed base at your plant, spare parts inventory, etc.), I believe I would opt for a MicroLogix 1400, as suggested earlier in this thread. Edited by ScottC

Thanks for the reply Scott. I was just stuck on the SLC series because it's what I was familiar with. Can you go over this parts list for me? 1766-L32BWA ML1400 controller (16 inputs 16 outputs ) 1762-IA8 (8 120v input expansion card) x3 1762-OA8 (8 120v output expansion card) x2 Is that really all I would need? Hopefully that wont run nearly $6k. Upon seeing that quote my employer wanted me to get modicon equipment for about half the price. Problem is I've never even seen the stuff. (remember, I'm very new)

As has previously been stated. If you are just starting out I would lean towards 24VDC I/O which is the way US industry is going. Many plants will not allow 120VAC I/O anymore. Right now you have 24VDC inputs on your base unit, relay outputs on your base unit, then 120VAC expansion I/O. To switch these to 24VDC you would use 1762-IQ16s for the inputs and 1762-OB16 (24VDC) or 1762-OW16 (relay) for the outputs. These are 16 point modules also so you may save a few more bucks in module reduction.