Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jje

PLC able to run java

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm looking for a PLC that will be able also to run java. I understand that some PLCs these days can have windows CE embedded????. Then, I wonder how interfacing this is achieved. I am open to any operating system as long as I can have java running to perform video algorithm. Any help or direction will be highly appreciated.

Most PLCs use dedicated chipsets and not commercial OS like Windows CE. They can't 'have Windows CE embedded', they must be designed to use it as their operating system. I do not know of a model that runs CE. Most PLCs which are software based use a form of Linux such as QNX for their base operating system. And it's not like you can load programs into it like you do on a PC.

A notable exception to the embedded Real-Time Operating System are the Beckhoff controllers, most of which run Windows Embedded or Windows CE with a realtime kernel underneath. There are also PC-based control engines like Think & Do, or Steeplechase (now owned by Phoenix Contact), or the PC software based versions of hardware controllers like A-B SoftLogix. Those could certainly run on a PC that also runs the Java JRE. I can't say this conclusively, but I know of no industrial controller that uses the Java runtime engine natively or as a virtual machine.

I think Schneider Electric has two parts that run a JVM - for the Quantum Platform and for the Premium Platform. Check for the following parts - an NWM module for the Quantum, and a WMY for the Premium (there are more to the part numbers, but I forget what they are).

thanks a lot for your replies...I am digging into them.... Regards, JG

I've just noticed RTU32S from brodersen allows creating funtion blocks in c ....I wonder if any other device does a similar thing...

Why? A PLC is a PLC - why Java?

Hi Bob, We like to have the ability of a PLC to drive switches/relays/hart capabilty/4-20mA out to talk to other plcs + HMI and avoid building too much hardware development but also incoorporate detection/processing of images. The algorithm is written in java. We may try to port it into C. I know sounds a bit odd.

If you are looking to minimal hardware try this. An HMI/Control Engine with Windows Embedded 7.0: GEIP QuickPanel Plus