Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mouldermike

Recommendations for an HMI for FX3G?

5 posts in this topic

Hi I have my first PLC up and running - currently managed by a PC next to the control panel. It's an FX3G using GX Developer. Struggling with the minefield of HMIs - any recommendations? Operator only needs to change a dozen or so parameters every now and then. Ease of programming for a newbie and cost are big things. Any suggestions? Cheers Mike

Hello, PeakHMI might be a good fit.

I've never tried PeakHMI, but from their website they look like a very competitive option. From the "big" ones I know the HMI's themselves are quite pricey... Also, the programming interface is from medium to difficult - not "easy", so maybe give PeakHMI a chance...!??

I'd probably stick with Mitsubishi. They have a nice line of low-end HMIs that aren't too expensive, the GT10. The programming software is reasonably priced compared to the big boys. The monochrome 3" and 4" versions can even be powered from the communications cable from your FX3G to make wiring simple. One warning though. You have to be creative to make a small HMI work well. There isn't a lot of room, so you have to avoid the temptation to crowd too much onto one screen. A 6" is often worth the money because the extra real estate makes things easier. I've found the GT10 to be very competitve with the "low-cost" HMIs, so if you're really pinching pennies, you'll probably need to look at options that offer free software. Here are a couple that I have used: Automation Direct C-More Micro - They aren't pretty, but they get the job done if you don't need much. If you use one of the smaller ones, you'll need an extra adapter to break out the communications and power. Red Lion - Powerful, flexible units. I've really enjoyed using them, though I'm not sure about the cost, because I've only programmed them for others. The programming approach is a little different from the other HMIs that I've used. Takes a little getting used to if you're familiar with other brands.

Thanks for that. I think I'll stick with the Mitsubishi and pay the price. At least if I need training I can get it all in the same place hopefully. Thanks for the time and the input. Cheers Mike