Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wnbresn1

Hand Held 2D Barcode Scanner to CompactLogix

21 posts in this topic

Hello All I have a client whom we are building a machine for. This machine will be using a AB 1768-L45S GuardLogix PLC ( the safety version of a CompactLogix) The client wants 4 hand held 2D barcode readers located around the machine to read in the 2D Barcodes of the various components they will be loading into the machine. The problem I am having is that I can't find any hand held 2D barcode scanners that can easily interface with an AB GuardLogix PLC .. Every 2D scanner I've found uses either a USB or a RS-232 cable to plug into a computer.. I have thought about using some sort of Serial to Ethernet IP converter but am not sure if they will work with the PLC.. Any suggestions??

http://www.ifm.com/ifmus/web/padv/060_050_010_010_010_010.html http://www.ifm.com/mounting/704743UK.pdf They all are EtherNet/IP compatible, rugged and reliable. Edited by dmargineau

The Problem is they are not made to be Hand Held .. The client specifically wants hand held gun type scanners. I find it strange that there are so many companies that make all sorts of barcode readers that are made to be mounted somewhere that word fine with PLC's . But so far I can't find any hand held gun types that can easily work with a plc..

SICK makes a barcode scanner interface modules which can have an optional Ethernet/IP fieldbus module. The CDM-430 was originally designed for their fixed-mount scanners, but can be used with their handheld products. You may even be able to get away with using only one of the interface modules by networking the scanners, but that's a question for SICK apps support (call 1-800-325-7425 for tech support). I've used both the interface module and the hand-held products from SICK (though not together), and they are good quality and get the job done.

Well since we are now using 1734 point I/O on this machine it looks like I might be able to use the 1734-232ASC RS-232 ASCII module to connect a Barcode gun's RS-232 plug to.. Has anyone ever used this combination?

Look at the RTA (Real Time Automation) ASCII modules. I use them for lots of barcode readers and printers. Great people to work with, and their product makes this simple

You may refer to a professional barcode site for such a barcode tool!

I've used the 1734-ASC232 and -ASC485 modules extensively, but not with this specific barcode reader. If you have incoming serial data that is a fixed length or has a specific delimiter character (often CR or LF) at the end, they are a good compact and cost-effective solution. The RTA devices are kings of the 'ease of use' category. You configure them to read and write specific tags in the ControlLogix, and they move ASCII data to and from those tags.

i recommend you the barcode scanner resource site where you can find many different types hand held scanner

The problem I've seen at the various recommended Barcode sites is they only deal with the business applications of barcode readers.. They are great at telling me how to plug a barcode reader into a regular PC and then using some sort of Microsoft or Apple program to control it. But so far they have NO info on tying a barcode reader into an Allen-Bradley CompactLogix PLC controlled machine. In fact even if I go into the sections on these websites on fixed barcode readers , they have no info on the common fixed 1D and 2D barcode readers that I've been using for years.. Companies like Keyence, Cognex, or Banner are not mentioned at all. My guess is because these are industrial and not business barcode readers.. If I could get away with using the standard fixed barcode readers then I would have no problems. We usually have some sort of one on many of the machines we design and build.. But since the client we are building this machine for insists on having hand held barcode readers next to any of the stations that add a part to the process; I am forced to try and use these barcode scanner guns . All I need is the ASCII barcode to be sent to a PLC register and for some sort of indication that someone triggered the barcode reader.. For now since we are using 1734 Point I/O through out the machine I am going to experiment with a 1734-232ASC module matched with a Honeywell 1900GSR-2 barcode reader gun. If that has problems then I'll look at the much more expensive Real Time Automation Module that some have suggested here. Thanks all for the responses so far. I'll let you know how it works out

I've used a symbol ls3408 handheld scanner with the compact logix. Just have to put an ascii card in the chassi which has two rs232 ports. Veery easy to do just set parameters that match each unit and done.

I used a Scale and 232ASC on Devicenet and wrote about it here: http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?article=80 Maybe it will give you some insight.

it is really not convenient at all. i hope there is some 2D barcode scanning application can help me solve this problem.

Hi, dtimage. Have you ever tried it yet? I agree with you that the professional 3rd party tools can make the process much simpler and faster. And I am testing about the related projects these days. Do you have any ideas about it? Or any good suggestion? Thanks in advance. Best regards, Arron

DISCLAIMER: I personally know NOTHING about this brand - but I ran across the website recently and they mention a hand-held unit that might be interesting in the context of this thread ... I noticed some "how to hook up to Allen-Bradley" notes in the appendix of the user manual for at least one of the units ... looks like Ethernet/IP is an option ... http://www.microscan.com/en-us/ServiceAndSupport/DownloadCenter.aspx

Why on earth is it that every barcode thread on this Forum seems to attract such a diverse set of semi-legitimate products marketed by clumsy spammers ?

I'm curious as to whether or not you were successful, because I'm trying to connect a 2D Motorola barcode scanner to a 1734-232ASC module over Ethernet I/O. I'm basically swapping out a standard scanner for a 2D, but I'm not having any success trying to get that to work properly.

I'm currently working on a project with about 20 handheld scanners. The Real Time Automation ASCII to Ethernet IP gateway was specced for me so I was totally in the dark as to what kind of work it would take. I was pleasantly surprised. I watched the short vid on their site and had the thing up and working in 5 minutes. You wont get that with the point I/O module. There's two different ways to set it up also. You can set it up as an I/O drop, but the easiest way is to configure the device with the PLC IP address and tagname and it will just plop the string right into your tag. It also has two ports so you can set it up for two different scanners.