Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cookie Monster

Allen Bradley Training Workstations

7 posts in this topic

Hello there, I am putting together a PLC trainer for a basic to intermediate skill level. I am posting here to see what everyone else determines to see what I am lacking. I am using a Ether/IP communications for my network comms. I am using the following. 1769-L35E (CompactLogix) PowerFlex 40 with 22-COMM-E PanelView Plus 600 1734-ANET (Point I/O) Those are the basics, I also have DC inputs and Outputs along with a analog combo card. What other technologies should I include to cover all the basic and intermediate skills? I have wondered if I should include Motion Control into these, but I think these fall into the more advanced topics. I am welcome to any input that you are willing to provide. The Cookie Man

Might be cheaper to build up the new "L1" Compact Logix. The retail cost is $1300. I call it the micrologix killer. http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/407648/7921716/CompactLogix-5370-Controllers.html Trying to save you some money.

Chris, What model L1 has the same I/O as a 1400 BXBA for the same cost? I have a design started with 3 1400's because the price per IO point is better with the 1400... or at least thats what I thought. You disagree? I would prefer to use Logix 5K all around so if you are right I will certainly revisit them.

I'm not concerned about cost. I have the educational partnership with Rockwell so I get deep discounts. Should I include motion control and upgrade to the CLX?

1769-L16ER-BB1B retail price is $1460. 1766-L32BWA retail price is $855. Price is enough higher to impact the system cost for most of the machines that I'm having built. It also doesn't include a serial port, and the USB is explicitly "for temporary connection only." Lots of the external devices I deal with (DC tool controllers, barcode scanners, etc) have Ethernet/IP available, but usually at substantial added cost. I can't find any comparison of tasks/programs, memory capacity, or processing speed. If it has the ability to store the documentation in the controller to be available for download, that might be enough to justify the added cost for my next project. I'll have to investigate a little bit more.

I agree with your Logix 5K statement. That's the reason I suggested the L1, to keep you training in 5K verses 500 software with the Micrologix PLCs. Tag based PLCs are hard for some people to understand.

Logix pro is a good simulator if you want something really cheap.