Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
machinemaker

windows 7 features

11 posts in this topic

Where can I get help on an installation of RSlogix 500 on a windows 7 computer? Some features are greyed out. the usage button is greyed out in the data files, but available if I right mouse click. Also Tools>Options-xref/wizard are greyed out. The 2 top options, enable... work. I have version 9.00(cpr9). It is only happening on a windows 7 computer. a computer running XP is fine. Contacting AB is ridiculous.

is it a 32bit or 64bit machine? I am attaching a compatability matrix. I think CPR 9 had RSLogix500 (7.30.10) Win 7 32 bit support didn't work till RSLogix 500 v8.30.01 and greater. 64 bit support wasn't till RSLogix500 (v8.40) Support.xls hope this helps Note, it has to be windows 7 professional as well. Edited by chitwoodb

Are you an Administrator on the PC? Is UAC disabled? Can you revert to 8.40? The release notes for enhancements with 9.0 are pretty thin..do you have to have it? https://rockwellauto...ail/a_id/492899 Edited by OkiePC

what is UAC? No one knows why certain features do not work. Even our distributor does not know.

http://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+UAC%3F&rlz=1C1CHJX_enUS421US421&oq=what+is+UAC%3F&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Am I the only one using Windows 7 and experiencing greyed out features? That is really sad no one has an answer, even the distributors and AB. I switched to version 8.4, and same problem on both window 7 computers. Again on the left pane, clicking on for example Inputs, the usage button is greyed out, and under Tools>Options>Xfer/address wizard, the address wizard is also greyed out. There maybe more.

Turns out some others are having problems running the program in 64 bit machines. Also now the program says it is busy and swith to anther program. what the heck is that. Once it does that, I have to close the whole thing. Does it ever end? Go AB!

Server Busy errors often point to licensing issues, but can also be driver problems in RSLinx. Monitor the Factory Talk Diagnostics window for license alerts. Make sure your path in FT Activation Manager is correct, not looking for a missing drive or network address. Also, try starting RSLinx Control Panel and running it as an application to see if that changes things. It is wise to blow away the harmony files too, and when things are working well, or changes re made, perform a backup of the RSLinx config. To force a reset to default desktop and options for RSLogix, I think you hold Shift + Ctrl while starting the software. This will mean you have to manually choose your preferences again, but can get around problems like illegal paths for the file open path and windows that are no longer visible since you unplugged the 2nd monitor... Hope this helps... Also, you did say you are administrator, right? And what version (licensed?) and revision number of RSLinx? Paul

I have to go look, but it was the lastest that came with RSLogix 9.0. It is really screwed up. I tried to uninstall the software and when I use the CD it keeps telling me to insert Disk 1! I have to cancel cause I do not have disk one. I tried the old just delete all the directories and that did not work. It says Factory Talk has a file open and will not delete the sub directories. At this point I am really hosed on the one windows 7 computer. Now I cannot even install the program. Why is it asking to insert Disk 1? I can not install RSLogix or RSlinx because of this. I do have my other computer running XP working.

Ugh...You may have to manually repair the registry, but it should give you the option to install or repair if you run the setup file again during a failed install. A system restore point might be handy about now if possible. Once you get past the uninstall problem, I suggest you download RSLinx 2.57, get it installed and working first. Put the zip file on the target PC, and manually unzip it before running the install file. Then install RSLogix again, and if possible do the same thing: If you have a good internet connection, download RSLogix500 version 8.40 so you have it zipped on your target PC first, then unzip it, find the install file and run it. RSLinx takes the longest to install, and I have heard horror stories about install times into dozens of hours with the latest version...stay off hte bleeding edge just a bit. I use RSLinx version 2.57 and RSLogix500 v 8.40 on 6 different machines with no hassles.