Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kurzschluss

Ultra3000 Indexing

9 posts in this topic

Hi there everybody! I have a question regarding Ultra3000 indexing. We have several U3k drives in use doing the same thing, moving 1 axis from a retract to an extend position. We are using the digital in/outputs on the drive to communicate with it. From what I can tell, we send an 'index command' and a 'extend position' command from the PLC to the drive to get it to index. In Ultraware, those 2 inputs are assigned 'Start Indexing' and 'Preset Select 0' (for the extend position command). Here is where I get confused: When I go to the index menu, there are 5 indexes setup. How in the world does the drive know which index to use? 'Action When Complete' is 'Stop' in all indexes, Next index is 0 in all but 1 index... Also, the preset 0 values are 0 for position and velocity... Any advice is greatly appreciated! I attached a screenshot of the indexing setpoints and the presets

You might want to take a look within: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2098-um001_-en-p.pdf Chapter 3 / Page 66 explains in detail the Ultraware configured Indexing Operating Mode for the Ultra 3000 servo drives. Also http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/2098-in005_-en-p.pdf contains useful information about the Ultra3000 systems Edited by dmargineau

Can you zip and post the udb file? Or a screenshot of the input point selections? Is there any connection to the drive serial port?

The Preset window and Index window are mutually exclusive; you only use one or the other depending on the operating mode. Your system is most likely set up for the Index operating mode. Here's a quote from the user manual: So your "Start Indexing" bit enables the indexing operation, and the "Preset Select 0" controls which index operation is used. Since you're only using one Preset Select, you are only using index operation 0 and 1.

JRoss, thank you for your reply. Does that mean if the DI for Preset Select 0 is false, it will use Index 0 and if the DI is true, it will use Index 1? I'm trying to figure this thing out because I want to add a second 'extend' position. Would that be possible?

You got it. Preset Input 0 OFF = Index 0, Preset Input 0 ON = Index 1. To add additional moves, you have to configure Preset Input 1, and then you have four moves based on the binary bit pattern of the two inputs: both OFF = Index 0 Input 0 ON = Index 1 Input 1 ON = Index 2 both ON = Index 3

Thank you so much for your help. Now it makes sense! It looks like I am out of digital inputs though and can't add Preset input 1

Just because the inout is used in the configuration doesn't mean it is used in the real world. I would check the physical wiring. Just been burnt once or twice by I/O being auto configed and not used.