Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Conor

L35E remote I/O

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I have an L35E that I need to connect Flow meters (Analogues) and some Digital signals to. The Remote I/O is about 120 meters away from the processor. I was hoping someone could tell me what they think that the best option would be to use. I have thought of three options. 1. DeviceNet. This would mean purchasing a new SDN card for the L35E. 2. Ethernet. Is this run too far and if not what I/O would I use. 3. Hardwire. Seems a bit outdated, but I could still do. Thanks, Conor

Field fiber optic media Ethernet; most of the A-B unmanaged Stratix series switches provide fiber optic ports. Two switches, one for the controller area and one for the Remote I/O area with fiber optic running between them will be the way I'd approach it.

I would use Ethernet I/O (EIO) if I where doing it. There are several different companies that make EIO.

How many wires? Is this likely to be further expanded? Edited by OkiePC

We use DeviceNet throughout our plant. I have all the tools. I am weighing up the options and would like to start using Ethernet where and when I can. DeviceNet can be tricky as the PLC needs to go into program mode to add new nodes etc. As above I could use a fibre cable into the managed switch in the PLC. I could get a fibre to Ethernet adaptor the far end as well. On the last option, as you say the biggest draw back would be leaving room for expansion. I would say it would be 8 - 12 Analogues and probably 20 'ish DIO. Again, I would like to keep as much Bradley as I can Thanks Again, Conor

Hi Paul, thanks for your input I have a good supplier that I get the fibre cable off, pre-terminated for a fairly reasonable price. So thats that bit sorted. I have Stratix and Westermo managed switches, no problems with either. The only thing is that with the Stratix you can use the Cisco software to map out your network. But this doesn't go through the Westermo. I have another question about the Point I/O. My site network is 192.0.2.xxx, with all of my PLC's, Managed switches and Panelviews hanging off this. If I am to install the Point I/O would I be better to give the Point I/O 192.0.3.xxx I don't have all of my addresses used on the main site network, but I think (not sure need some input) that I might be better putting my Point I/O on this new IP range? I would be grateful of any inputs/idea's on this Thanks again, Conor

I am not ready to call myself even a beginner level Ethernet guy yet, so I would only be able to dance around the question and give my general opinion. I/O traffic needs to be segregated, yes, but how that gets done might not require a separate subnet. The simplest way is to make sure the ports to which it and it's owner/listeners are connected are set up as managed ports and have IGMP working properly. We have some point I/O and some Flex I/O which is connected and addressed along with the other 200 or so devices on our controls subnet, and as long as IGMP stays enabled, we have had no issues. We did have one switch which lost it's settings and turned off IGMP snooping There is one chassis of point I/O (all digital) on that switch but it has a slow RPI setting. We saw some slowdowns on other systems until we found the issue, but the I/O connection didn't fail. With IGMP enabled and a querier working, we haven't had any problems.

Here's my two cents and for the record I count 6 process lines using Ethernet IO with Safety IO on my plant floor today. Use your 192.0.2.xxx as you currently do. Use a seperate address space and EN2T/ENBT adapter for your point IO. For example Slot 0 - CPU Slot 1 - EN2T @ 192.0.2.124 = Plant Net Slot 2 - EN2T @ 10.10.2.1 = Ethernet IO net 10.10.2.xxx for this PLC and should you eventually need it Slot 3 - EN2T @ 10.10.3.1 = Safety IO net 10.10.3.xxx for this PLC Slot 4 - EN2T @ 10.10.4.1 = Drives Ethernet IO Net 10.10.4.xxx for this PLC NOTE : We use seperate switches for each 10.10.x subnet and blend traffic The segration is worth the cost in performance IMHO and Drive Executive will nbavigate the backplane from 192.0.2 to 10.10.4 without a problem. The one draw back rslinx won't backup the devices found on slots 2,3 or 4. Bob