Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken Moore

PLC5 to CLX

8 posts in this topic

I may be working on a project to migrate a very large PLC5 installation to CLX. I know in the past there was limitations on the amount of analog I/O you could access with CLX to a remote chassis, I assume this has been addressed and I am bringing up old problems that are no longer relevant, right ????

I believe they have resolved this with a newer faster module, but I think there are still limitations on analog...the original DHRIO module, I think is limited to 32 "Logix" connections. Research the 1757-ABRIO...I think it has a lot of powerful features and support more than 32 connections.

Are you using CLGX I/O or keeping the 1771-analog I/O? There are or were certain flavors of 1771-analog which did not play well with CNET on CLGX.

I'll know more later this week, right now we are in the "talking about it" stage.

Okay, they are going all the way, replacing the 1771 I/o. Our local AB rep came by and demo'd the i/o migration hardware. Looks pretty good. You can keep the 1771 Swing arms and connect them to a migration adapter. Saves having to rewire. Of course they only handle standard I/O modules, special modules will have to be rewired, such as CFM's.

Ken now I'll add another 2 cents. Depending on the cost of downtime and such there is an approach I've found quite elegent for conversion. Stage 1 - Install a CLGX Rack with CPU and Network Cards, replace the PLC5 Processor and all ASB modules with 1771-CNB or now 1771-AENT. During Stage 1 you can run your PLC5 program with ASB during the week for production and on weekends shake down the CLGX code with I/O CHeckout, Dry and Wet run phases until you're ready to go live. Each Monday Morning you reinstall the PLC5 CPU and ASB and go back for another week of production. Stage 2 - After the CLGX CPU with 1771 Hardware is "burned in" and all your routines are shook down. You repalce the 1771 hardware racks one at a time during downtime weekends until the 1771 I/O is history. Unless you're scrapping CFM Cards the programming done in stage 2 should be minimal. Just food for thoguht. In our case a 12 weekends of downtime was cheaper than 4 weeks of solid downtime. Of course this approach is more work for the Integrator, but lees risk to the end user.

The name is Ken Bob, not Keith, LOL. (to many night shifts ?) This client runs 24/7, so while the weekend option would be nice, it isn't an option.

DOOH ! DOOH !