Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken Moore

ML1400 Modbus TCPIP and DF1 doable?

8 posts in this topic

I have a customer that has a piece of skid equipment that came with a ML1400 series A, and some sort of panel view type display, not sure of brand yet. He wants to connect this skid to his DCS for monitoring and alarming. He already has a copper to fiber converter installed and fiber ran to main control panel. Question: If I replace existing ML1400A with a B series (which supports Modbus TCP/IP), can I also continue to communicate to the Panel view via DF1 or CIP ( not sure which is used). Does the ethernet port support multiple protocols at the same time? Inquiring minds want to know. thanks in advance.

The Ethernet port on the MicroLogix 1400 controller simultaneously supports EtherNet/IP plus one additional protocol; either Modbus/TCP or DNP3. I have one on my desk right now that's talking to my PC, a Red Lion G308, and a Modbus/TCP server device. The two serial ports can only run one protocol at a time; DF1, DH485, ASCII, or Modbus RTU. You won't have to upgrade, either; the Series A and Series B hardware is identical. You just need to upgrade the firmware.

Thanks Ken, You da man. :notworthy: :notworthy: I suspected the ethernet port would work, just didn't want to tell the customer I had a solution and then find out it would not work. Thank you, thank you very much. Ken M.

Wait, wait, I made a mistake ! It was late, I was confused. MicroLogix 1400 does require a from-the-factory Series B controller to load the FRN10 and later firmware, which supports Modbus/TCP. You can't upgrade a Series A controller to have Series B functionality, as there are hardware changes to the controller. I was thinking about the upgradeability of the MicroLogix 1100. The original hardware can be upgraded to Series B functionality for those controllers. I'm certain about the EtherNet/IP and Modbus/TCP running simultaneously, as I'm doing so right now.

Thanks Ken, luckily I got tied up today and did not contact the customer about this. Whew, (wipes sweat from forehead). I will recommend buying a new series B. BTW, You still da man.

I have an ML1400 series B with RSLogix500 8.2. I can't seem to find the option to select Modbus TCP on Channel 1. Where can I select this or I need a newer version of RSLogix to be able to select this? Thanks,

From the RA Knowledgebase (Article 59937), to use the MicroLogix 1400 Series A, you need RSLogix 500 version 8.1 or later and RSLinx Classic 2.54 or later. To use the MicroLogix 1400 Series B, you need RSLogix 500 version 8.3 or later, and RSLinx Classic 2.54 or later.

I did a 1400 a few months ago and had a standard PV Ethernet running and a G3. The mapping of the Modbus was a little crude but it did work.