Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trespaser5

Omron NS5 HMI to Modicon PLC

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I've recently started a new job as an automation engineer having stepped up from electrical technician. I've been asked to install a HMI onto an existing machine with a Modicon PLC inside, my new company does not have Vijeo Designer but does already have all the Omron software and an NS5 HMI in the stores, is there a protocol I can download that would allow the two to talk or is it out of the question ? I really just want to know the feasibility because if it isn't going to happen then I will have to give my boss a price for a new Magelis HMI and software(which is going to be a nightmare because they appear to only be able to purchase from RS and they don't have any vijeo software in stock). Thanks for your time in advance

I just had a look and the NS does not have a driver for Schneider - one of the disti guys may come back with something.

I had a look as well. If you choose Generic Protocol from the Serial Port dialog you can see a couple of ModBus options. I'm not well versed in Modicon and I'm not sure what this entails or requires from the PLC side. I would be interested to know myself for future reference.

Ah - I never thought of adding another host. The same options appear in the drop down box for Serial B.

I downloaded NQ designer for free and found this If I can get hold of an NQ5/3 would this work ? Also is there a particular type of cable I'd need ? Thanks again for your replies