Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phuz

PLC 5 Processor / Power Supply problem

4 posts in this topic

Received a trouble call from a customer that the processor was faulted. Came down to clear it yesterday but BATT AND PROC lights were both solid red and COMM light was solid green, even with all cables and EEPROM detached. I assumed, and AB tech support confirmed that the processor was most likely dead. We picked up a "new" one from PLC Center this morning and swapped it in, but once again had two solid red lights and solid green COMM light. The "P/S Active" light on the power supply was not lit. We then assumed that the power supply was toasted, even though we have +5 VDC on the main terminals from the power supply that feed the back plane. We ran back over to PLC Center and got a "new" power supply and before we even plugged it into the rack, we connected a pigtail for the 120vac source and flipped it on. There was no "P/S Active" light and there was no +5 VDC on the main terminals. It seems as if we coincidentally received a new power supply that is bad out of the box. Input voltage is 117vac. Fuse is GOOD. Both original and "new" processors both have two solid red lights and solid green COMM light. AB is clueless and we are thinking about making a third trip to get another NEW power supply that is tested before we walk out the door. Any other suggestions? I've never seen something quite like this.

PLC5 power supplies must be plugged into the rack. There is a feed back connection on the rack to enable the power supply.

I would set up the various pieces in a different chassis on the off chance that it has a problem.

I forgot...you also need a processor or Adapter module to complete the feedback.