Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brazierp

PVC - USB or Ethernet, which is fastest?

8 posts in this topic

12 hours today..... Click...wait, wait, wait........Click, wait wait wait.........Click, wait, wait, wait........ They didn't warn me I would waste so much time and blow the budget....... I tried offline, but it wasn't much faster and I had to click, wait, wait, wait, for the transfer. I tried USB, seemed the same as Ethernet. Surely someone at AB is having a laugh here. How can anything be so slooooooooooooow..............

OK, joking aside, I've been doing some experimentation with various machines. Looks like my Windows 7 machine running IE9 over Ethernet is fastest, quite significantly faster than my old XP machine (powerful in it's day) but the one I use for programming as I have an old version of RSLogix. I am surprised how machine dependant the performance is but I guess the host pc is running a lot of scripts within the browser. It's still a bit slow but usable. I really like the concept of the PV Compact and I hope they develop them further and increase the range. Anyone else got any experience? I'd be curious to know if anyone has tried with a Mac or other browsers? Peter.

OK, despite the fact I'm talking to myself, here is some more. I've tried Firefox for a while and it's actually slower and doesn't navigate properly but it's usable. I couldn't get Chrome to work with it at all well and as I'm editing a live HMI I don't want to mess too much. I'm really curious if anyone does any PLC/HMI work with a Mac and how they get on. Peter.

No one has responded, because you have not given enough information for anyone to understand what the flip you're talking about.

Sorry! OK, Panelview component (PVC). I am setting up my first ever, it's a C1000 and I love the concept, self contained, easy to access on the network etc. and it's cheap! So you get what you pay for, but I am exploring the best way to make advantage of this.

I think it also has to do with the fact that the PVC is not very well received and not very popular in general...

I found that the fastest way was to use the Connected Components Workbench Offline. Make a bunch of changes then download and verify online. I only have experience with the 3 and 4 inch PanelView Component models though. Please keep posting your results.

Thanks for the responses. I really like the concept of the PVC so I am going to stick with it. Most of my applications don't require more than it can do, it's just this speed issue. Google Chrome is supposed to be the fastest browser out there so I will give that a try next, see if it works and post the results.