Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
leesullivan21

NS8 comm's

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm relatively new to Omron and I have recently joined a company where there are 3 Omron PLC's with HMI's. I have been unable to upload the data from one of the HMI's via etherent. I have uploaded the program from the PLC via USB but I cannot get a connection to the HMI. It is running through a switch/hub to the PLC The HMI is a NS8 TV01B V2 - The PLC is CJ2M CPU33 I have CX Designer V3.3 and CX Prog V9.34 I have all the components IP address's I'm missing something but i'm not sure what, any help would be grateful. I would also like to purchase an Omron, book does anybody know of any good books to help me with the fundamentals. I have knowledge of Siemens and AB but none of Omron and i'd like to brush up on the basics, ie communications settings etc. Regards Lee

The issue is that the NS is very particular about who it will communicate with on Ethernet. I will try to explain: Lets say your PLC's IP address is 192.168.0.20 and your NS's IP address is 192.168.0.25 (you may not be using Ethernet to communicate with the PLC, but I am in this example). The first thing that you need to do is to set your IP address on your PC to something that is on the same network, but does not conflict with anything. So, lets say you set it to 192.168.0.30. The NS will only communicate with devices in its IP address table. The thing that you will need to do is to add your PC to the IP Address table. To do this, touch any two corners at the same time to get into the system menu. Once you are in the system menu, choose the COMM tab. Then press the enable button to enable Ethernet. If it is already enabled, pressing it is still required as it brings up the Ethernet Settings on the right hand side of the screen. Then press the Show Table button next to IP Address. If this system was already configured, then the IP Address table should have Node 20 in the table with an IP Address of 192.168.0.20. You can add your laptop to the table as node 30 and 192.168.0.30. You will then need to write it to the NS by pressing the write button. The NS will reboot and you should be able to communicate with it. The Node number does not have to match the last octet of the IP address, but it makes things much simpler. In CX-Designer, choose the PT pulldown menu and then choose transfer and then choose Transfer Setting as shown below: Choose Ethernet for the comms method and press SET next to it. On the network tab, set the FINS Source Network to 0, the FINS Destination Address to Network 0, node 0. Then on the Driver page, set the IP address to 192.168.0.25 as shown below and make sure that the Work station node number matches the last octet of your IP address (30 in this case) even if it is greyed out. If it is wrong and greyed out, uncheck the auto detect and manually set it to 30. Then choose Transfer from PT from the PT -> Transfer menu. That should do it. Good luck.

Great instructions, Mike! But why not just use USB to the NS?

This is interesting, I have never had to set the IP table before, but will keep that in mind. I have an application where the NS should talk to multiple PLC's over Ethernet, but am having a few issues getting it to work. 2x PLC's are E/IP, the other is ETN. Perhaps I need the FINS Node conversion in the table for it to work... I will try this when next back on site.. Location...?

Yes, for EtherNet/IP, you do not need the PLCs listed in the IP Address Table, but for FINS, you do.