Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimWilborne

Shared directory problem in RsLogix 500 and Virtualbox

5 posts in this topic

I run RsLogix 500 on Windows XP SP2 inside Virtualbox on a Windows 7 machine. Everything works fine except a I have a problem with my shared folder from Windows 7 that shows up as a hard drive on my virtual machine. When I open a file, my shared drive E shows up as seen below, I can go online as long as the files match, make changes, and save just fine But, if my offline file doesn't match the online version or I don't have the proper file selected when I attempt to go online, the following "Old Windows 16 bit" dialog shows up, which doesn't include my my shared drive E. So I must open up Windows Explorer, copy the RSS file from my E drive to my C drive, go online, then save the file back to my E drive. Any thoughts on what I need to get my E drive to show up in the second picture? Thanks TW

TW two thoughts. 1. Press the Network Button and map the "E" Drive might be one thing to try. 2. If memory serves RSlogix 5 and 500 have historically had issue when working to mapped network drives {at least they did back in the 2000 - 2005 era}. I always worked from a local copy and then copied to the netowrk resource cause loss of network comms during an edit hosed be big a couple of times.

Yes, but in this situation, I'm actually mapping the same drive I'm working off of. It just helps me keep my files in sync between virtual images. I've done this on multiple PCs and this one problem shows up every time. It just seems like it should be as simple as me forgetting to check a box somewhere but I can't find it

I use the built in Virtual Machine that came with my Windows 7 with no issues. I just share a folder and put a shortcut on the desktop. This way I have no issues with trying to find the actual drive it is attached to. I do this because AB has issues finding the actual drive at times. But I have never had issues locating the shortcut. I know, it's weird, but after all it is AB we are talking about. Corey

Yes, but shortcuts aren't navigable in that situation either. For example changing either of the file paths under Tools > Options work the same way as navigating from the upload prompt. Go there and click browse. Can you drill down into your shortcut?