Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daryl

Which Laptop?

5 posts in this topic

Hi folks, I've been given a budget up to £1000 for a new laptop, so I'd like to ask for some recommendations. This new laptop will mostly be used for design work at my work desk, and will very rarely be used out in the field (but still occassionally), I've got a Panasonic Toughbook for field work. I'm thinking 17" widescreen as I will be doing all of my design work (including some HMI work) from this laptop. One big stumbling point is the Operating System. It HAS to be Windows due to corporate rules, asked about others such as Linux for other work, but just got a straight "NO", so Windows is a must. However, I'm not sure about compatibility using Windows 7, so I'm guessing I'll be best sticking with Windows XP. Software I'll be using will be - RSLogix 500,5000 (plus emulators) and RSView32 for Allen-Bradley Unity Pro for Modicon Premium (can't remember which package) Wonderware InTouch Codesys v2.3 (for use on a Wago PLC) Isagraf Workbench for an obscure use of Omniflex (don't ask!!!) Elop II for an ESD system Any recommendations will do, but right now, I'm looking at a Dell Vostro 3750. thanks... Daryl

I have had a Dell Vostro for a few years now. Been on the plantroom floor a few times and starting to play up. Just received a Dell XPS with lots of hoot today and setting up now. Has Windows 7 64 bit - do not know if your stuff will work on 64 bit but Omron does. There is always the XP Pro box, VMWare etc for cranky stuff. I must say that I am impressed with the XPS so far. Had to go to it to get the hi res 17" screen that was previously available with the Vostro - 1920 x 1080. Will let you kbnow how I go tomorrow oinsuite into 14 PLCs. I also opted for a Logitek Performance MX mouse and a Logitech k750 solar keyboard. Most impressed - the keybpoarfd is really thin and has good feedback. My only criticism of Dell with these laptops is they have not provided a touch pad turn of/on switch as HP/Compaq have. however thge unifying wireless system from Logitek means I am away from the keyboard on the laptop and do not finish up typing ion the middle of nowhere. The keyboard and mouse are both wireless and not Bluetooth - hooray!!!. Bluetooth mouse and keyboard are an absolute pain!!!

I highly recommend getting docking station AND a second monitor, as large as your desk allows. :)

I second that motion. Your AB stuff *should* be OK on Win7, unless you need a PIC driver. That won't even work on XP SP3. A Virtual Machine won't help either, since it's the native OS's serial drivers that matter. The 1747-UIC works nicely over USB, though. I'm just starting to get set up with virtual machines and would strongly recommend you do the same, especially for the RSView stuff. I've had the software die in really weird ways where it couldn't be resurrected (or uninstalled, or reinstalled). A VM solves that problem handily. Whatever route you take, maximize the RAM, especially if you decide to use VMs. Win XP won't map above 3GB, and some of that will be taken up with memory-mapped hardware, so if you want to do VMs, you might seriously consider Win7 as your native OS.

Mmmmm. My new Dell XPS with the 17" high res screen is nice. Win 7 x 64 bit and lots of grunt. Also opted for the Logitek Performance MX mouse and the Logitek k750 solar powered keyboard - both excellent. Have given Blutetooth away in favour of wireless - works much better.