Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brinkmann

ML1400 ommunications

9 posts in this topic

We have a ML1400 and Panelview runing on ethernet. Software is RSLogix Micro starter 8.10.00 build 24 RSLinx Classic Lite 2.55.00.16 CPR 9 SR2 Factory Talk View Studio- ME 5.10.00 CPR 9 SR2 Customer has a phone line and modem which connects to the PLC/HMI ethernet network. We have been requested to make changes to the PLC and HMI. He's a plane trip away. Is there a way we can remotely connect to the system, and download the 2 programs? Thanks in Advance!!!

In general, yes, you can connect to PLCs and HMI's from a remote IP network. You need to find out exactly what make and model and configuration that "modem" is and how it connects to the Internet. This is much more an Internet connection (and security) issue than a PLC/HMI one.

Isn't RsLogix 500 Micro Starter only for the Micrologix 1000 and Micrologix 1100?

That would be "RSLogix 500 Micro Starter Lite" There is a "RSLogix 500 Micro Starter" for the MicroLogix series. ( all of them)

You are right, my bust.

Thanks Ken I'll get with the customer next week to find out the modem details. It's so remote there, cell service is not available. How do I set up RSLinx to communicate with the modem? Remote Devices via Linx gateway? TW...the ML1400 was the reason we bought the Micro. Our other RS500 didn't include the 1400 Edited by brinkmann

The best way I found is to use VPN. Few cheap router have VPN server inclued.

Anytime I've used Dial Up Modems with RSlinx and AB PLC's I've always used the RS-232 Serial Devices Driver option. If you have access to the RA Knowledgebase it has a wealth of information on modem setups. One word to the wise. Force your serial port and both modems to operate at 9600 or 4800 baud. I knowm that is snails pace slow, but if this place is as remote as you make it out to be then there is a good chance you'll run through an old analog switching station and those don't like higher baud modem data streams. Yes I used to live north of podunk also.

Also here's a good tutorial on this site http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=9&c=11