Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
raveon

PLC5/80

5 posts in this topic

Does anybody know where I can get a large chunk of sample code for a PLC5/80 so I can convert to CLX? I never done it before I want to do a dry run. The PLC I have to do has crap code and they want AOI's, UDT's and OOP's as well. They can't e-mail PLC program for what ever reason. won't go through?????????. If I can't find anything I will pay for USB and postage. I haven't seen a PLC this old in years. Thanks.

Here is a old PLC5/40 program. Have fun. HRDEHY.zip

We don't have any 5/80s, but here's one from a 5/60. SJ BONDLINE.zip

Don't have a program I can share from any of our 5/80s but have done a number of PLC5 to CLGX conversions recently and found the following Two Stage process has saved our bacon more than once. Expecially if the customer values uptime and productivity. The overall timeline may be longer than a straight swapout, but the working hours will be about the same and benefits outweighed the cons for us. 1. Stage 1 you replace the PLC 5 CPU with a 1771-AENT {ethernet} or 1771-ACNR {controlnet}. You build a panel with an 1756-A4 or 1756-A7 Rack. and install your Controllogix CPU and 1756-CNB {Controlnet} and/or 1756-DHRIO {DH+RIO} if needed. You then write your controllogix program to reference you old 1771 PLC5 hardware. What stage 1 lets you do is use the PLC 5 CPU for production runs and test the controllogix for I/O Check out and Dry and Wet Shakedowns during Maintanance Windows. Once you have your Controllogix Program shook down and ready for go live you switch to it permanently and place the PLC 5 into recycling. 2. Stage 2 you swap rack at a time or the whole system at once the 1771 hardware for 1756 hardware. This lets you do a single rack in a weekend window or the whole thing when the time fits. Eventually you have all your PLC5 hardware removed and can call things complete. Just IMHO the best approach.

Don't have a program I can share from any of our 5/80s but have done a number of PLC5 to CLGX conversions recently and found the following Two Stage process has saved our bacon more than once. Expecially if the customer values uptime and productivity. The overall timeline may be longer than a straight swapout, but the working hours will be about the same and benefits outweighed the cons for us. 1. Stage 1 you replace the PLC 5 CPU with a 1771-AENT {ethernet} or 1771-ACNR {controlnet}. You build a panel with an 1756-A4 or 1756-A7 Rack. and install your Controllogix CPU and 1756-CNB {Controlnet} and/or 1756-DHRIO {DH+RIO} if needed. You then write your controllogix program to reference you old 1771 PLC5 hardware. What stage 1 lets you do is use the PLC 5 CPU for production runs and test the controllogix for I/O Check out and Dry and Wet Shakedowns during Maintanance Windows. Once you have your Controllogix Program shook down and ready for go live you switch to it permanently and place the PLC 5 into recycling. 2. Stage 2 you swap rack at a time or the whole system at once the 1771 hardware for 1756 hardware. This lets you do a single rack in a weekend window or the whole thing when the time fits. Eventually you have all your PLC5 hardware removed and can call things complete. Just IMHO the best approach.