Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gleblanc

Q-series remote I/O?

11 posts in this topic

The title of this thread is the solution that I think will solve the problem, but let me start with the problem description first. We have a control panel which runs our conveyor system. The conveyor is setup to start and stop automatically at the beginning and end of shift, and for breaks and lunch. This system uses a Q02H CPU. We also have a plant-wide buzzer system, which goes off to alert people to the start of shift, beginning and end of breaks, and so on. This system uses a small telecommunique PLC. Currently, these two systems are completely separate. My thought is that we could add some remote I/O to the Q02H, and simply trigger the buzzers from that, and train our operators to stop turning off the control panel. I haven't been able to figure out what hardware I need to pull this off, though. I was thinking that what I needed was called CC-Link I/O, but that's not helping me narrow down my choices very well. Thanks for any advice here. Greg

You're right CC-Link I/O will the best solution for this task, but I don't understand, what difficulties can prevent you to build this simple network.

CC-Link will be the most logical choice for just some basic I/O. You can get catalogs on the Q Series PLC and the CC-Link I/O modules from www.meau.com.

What are you hoping to gain by rolling the two systems into one? Could you network the two PLCs to acheive the same end?

The PLC used to control the buzzers is a Telemecanique brick. The only thing it does is turn on for 3 seconds at 13 different times throughout the day. Of course, it uses it's own internal clock to decide when to run the buzzers, and this clock doesn't seem to stay synchronized with the clock on the conveyor. In theory, when the buzzer goes off to tell folks to head to break, the conveyor ought to shut down. In the current setup, the two events are generally off by 30 seconds or so. If the PLC inputs on the Telemecanique are high enough impedance, maybe I will just re-write the program from there, and use a single 24V output from the conveyor to tell it when to trigger the bells. Getting the software and cable for the brick is probably going to be cheaper than a CC-link setup.

Or replace it with a Mitsubishi brick and do the same thing, since you already have the software. An FX1S would likely be less than software. Only a couple hundred, IIRC. How many buzzers are we talking? Could you just hardwire them from the Q with relays instead?

If the "only" function of the omron is this, then i vould remove the omron, put an cable from the relay output on the Qsystem and let it run the buzzers. Thats the cheepest thing, and probley the best! CC-link cable is expensive. 2x0,75mm2 is cheep. CC-link module and nodes are expensive, a relay is cheep.. get my point? :)

Telemecanique is not Omron, it's Schenider Electric. But I agree. Dump the second PLC and run the buzzer from the Q Series.

Not agree with you. CC-Link module for Q-series is not expensive, and the CC-Link cable can be replaced with usual multicore twisted pair 5E category without any problem. Tested successfully.

I wouldn't recommend unshielded CAT5 cable, the results over long distances will not be good. But I have run the standard CC-Link cable several hundred feet and forgot to install the terminators and it works.

Of course, I meant shielded 5E cable The lenght is about 500 meters, the baud rate is 1Mb/s. The network works steady from 2004.