Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sammy

M/L 1000 and analog

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a M/L 1000, 1710 -L10BXB and want to learn some analog with it. I am new to this and have been doing a lot of reading on PLC's, only A-B. With the books that I bought I have been able to get a light to come on with a timer and latch it on, and have some sort of understanding as to how it works. The M/L that I have does not have analog inputs. Can you guys recommend some thing to help me? Also has any one attended one of Allen Bradley's PLC troubleshooting one week class? If so, what did you think of it? Was it worth it? Sammy

Sammy, I can't help you on the analog but have you looked at Ron's site for training....Here is a link and watch the videos. Ron is the best around! http://www.ronbeaufort.com/sample_lessons.htm

What do you want to simulate with an analog? I'm not familiar with an M/L 1000 so I'm not sure what registers are available. You might be able to use an integer as an analog point and manually put a value that is equivalent to the range of an analog input's range. Something like 0-32767, 0-16383, 6400-32000, etc. You can get fancy and write a routine to add and subtract a value to/from the integer to simulate an active process variable. I usually hesitate to recommend anything to do with classes because they are usually power point presentations put on by someone with questionable skills. The only class that I ever attended was one that I had custom "designed" to teach myself and the crew how to create our own function blocks using structured text in the S7. We told them up front that we wanted to accomplish x,y, and z at the end of the class and we got so much more than that. Best money I ever spent. I've never attended the maintenance class but my guess is that it's about how to change a card and troubleshoot IO not programming. Edited by Michael Lloyd

Thanks for all the great reply s NOT Edited by sammy

Sammy what exactly was wrong with the replies you got? Bob recommended Ron Beaufort's training classes which as by far better than Allen Bradley's PLC troubleshooting classes. It would be the best money your could spend. Did you watch the entire series of videos? They are a great primer for what you would learn

Sammy I have to second or third thelat plug to Ron Beaufort. I have been through his school, Bob has been, I think TW may have been as well. Ron's classes are based on what does and doesn't work. I have been to several of the other training companies classes. Michael's points on most training being PowerPoint is on the money. Monkey see monkey do training doesn't work for me. It may work work for you.

I wanted to ask the same thing Tim. Since the replies were IMHBMAO actually good information I was left to wonder if Sammy was really inferring that the replies were NOT great and were stupid, or if he was meaning that the replies were great and the "NOT" was intended to negate the stupid smiley as some kind of obfuscated reverse compliment. Either way it didn't come across very well and probably deprived Sammy of additional answers by putting others off. I was put off when I first saw it I didn't have any desire to reply, but decided to wait and see what happened.

I did a forum search for "sammy" and I think your initial interpretation of his reply was correct. He seems to have issues.