Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PdL

Cannot get online with Alpha controller AL2-24MR-A

7 posts in this topic

I need to make a backup copy of the user program in a AL2-24MR-A Alpha controller. To be honest this is my very, very first encounter with a Mitsubishi controller. I have the Alpha software AL-99RS232 and the cable AL-232. Controller is powered and in RUN mode. When connected to the controller and I select the COM1 port, and try to connect it gives me a "no response from controller" error. (sorry but I did not thought yet to make any screenshots). In the software I cannot find any option to set baud rate, parity etc so I asume this is fixed and thus cannot be wrong. If I select any of the other COM ports it gives me another message saying the port is not available which is true because it only has 1 serial port so I am sure I have the correct port selected. Do I need to perform any operation on the controller itself before trying to get online? Do I need to put it in some kind of monitor/program mode? Or should it normally work what I am trying to do. I read something in the programming manual about "Program Read Protection", could it be the controller is password protected to prevent to monitor/upload the program and would it result in the behaviour described above? Thanks for any answer, as you can see I am on unfamiliar terrain right now

You could try and set the controller in STOP. I think you press the ESC and OK key at the same time, then you should get the options to set the controller in STOP or in RUN. Set it to stop, and then try to upload the program.... I have only used Alpha's a couple of times so this comes directly from my head (and as most people I tend to forget things....). Try it and let us know

Thanks for the tip, will try and come back with the result. If anyone has any more tips I am glad to hear them.

Please don't base an opinion of the Mitsubishi controllers on the Alpha. It's a very low end device, not even a PLC. In fact, I hate the software. Their PLC product is far better than this little anomaly. If you connect the cable to the unit and your serial port (and you are not using a USB to serial adapter), then it should just work. If it had a password set, it would not fail to connect, it would ask for the password. You are using cable AL-232CAB and not AL2-GSM-CAB right?

Hi Crossbow, thanks. Good point on the cable type, will double check. The other is a modem cable I asume?

It turns out we needed to upgrade our Alpha software version to 2.32. Connected and uploaded the user program without any problems. Thanks all for your help.

2.32? Wow. 2.6 has been current for a couple years already.