Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mr_electrician

RS 232 Channel 2 on a Micro 1400

27 posts in this topic

I have been there and faught that battel. Keyence does a horrible job at documenting protocols. You can do it it just sucks. I suggest you get a serial port monitoring program and create pre-canned string and send them to the Keyence. It will reply capture that and break it down. Make sure you are getting what you expect first before you try it in a PLC. You will be money ahead or at least I was.

ASCII in the PLC is a site to behold when it is working and I have done it for many years (almost 30), but I have to tell you that it takes a very determined programmer and a development lab to get it right. All the string stuff is a pretty simple, but the key to success is asking the port to do the right things. As soon as you ask the port do do domething that it cannot do, it will hang up. So therefore you must "trap" the screwup, and then take steps recover from the resulting mess. At this point, it is pretty likely that data will be lost in the process. If anyone is tempted to do this, I would be happy to tell you about what worked for me. I don't recommend it unless you have plenty of time to refine your efforts. FYI...My work was done in PLC5s. Bob A.