Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sleepy Wombat

What files to copy

6 posts in this topic

This is a citect - ab question. Background. I have a PLC system consisting of around 12 AB PLC's. ( 2 x CLX, 5x SLC/505, 5 x micrologix) all are currently communicating via ethernet comms to the PC. I believe that the PLC's are then communicating to CITECT via RSLinx OPC. This current system is fine, however, there is no automated backup for the system in place and they are concerned that the Citect PC might be on the way out. Therefore, I am tasked with transferring everything to a new PC. I do not want to have to configure everything again, i don;t believe in upsetting the apple cart so to speak... SO... I am curious as to what files (especially the OPC stuff under RSLinx) are required to be copied from the old computer to the new computer to make life easy. Installing RSLinx, RSNetWorx, RSLogix, RSLogix 5000 has been done and I will transfer the Lic when I finalise the transfer. Checking the RSLinx, DDE.OPC tab there seem to be a number of "topics" in place on the old machine, can some one give me the quick and easy low down on this - or just point me to the appropriate manual thanks

RSLinx Classic has a simple "Backup/Restore" utility that will back up the configured drivers, DDE/OPC topics, network shortcuts, CIP Options, Interchange port mappings, and associated registry entries. It puts them all into a *.RSX file, which you then use the Restore half of the utility to restore on the new computer. It's always worked very well when I've used it. It is launched from the Start menu user Rockwell Software -> RSLinx .

One caveat RSLinx must be shutdown when you do a backup/restore.

I have used this backup restore method and it works.

One other caveat If you're using the newest logix 5000 features and have remote networks with stratix switches off your logix 5000 modules the linx setup of the remote network is not in the rsx file.

Thanks for all the tips. found the little app. i will try it next time on site. Regards sleepy..