Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
noxcuses

Compactlogix PLS ?

6 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of using a Compactlogix L32E processor to duplicate the function of a ElectroCAM system. Currently, the ElectroCAM resolver is coupled to a motor in the enclosure who's speed is controlled by the operator. To speed up the machine they turn the potentiometer of the motor which speeds up the motor/resolver hence increasing machine cycle rate. All machine ouputs are triggered by degree ranges setup in the ECAM controller. Here is what I'm thinking.. Set up a Virtual Axis with 360 deg/rev in logix... jog the Virtual Axis to obtain desired cycle rate.... use LIM instruction with rotation degrees to trigger outputs. If this logic is placed in a periodic task running at 2ms and the Output module's RPI at 1ms, it should work with the max cycle being less than 80 RPM. At 80 RPM, I get .48 deg/ms Any suggestions, ideas, Affirmations of concept???

Some stand alone PLS have internal functions wish allow outputs to be advanced or retarded automatically based on speed to allow for physical device reaction time. Check if that is used in the current system. You may need to emulate that as well.

Does the L32E support master and virtual axis? Just a small catch that may cause you problems.

Good Questions!! The software allows the creation of a vitual axis and jog functions without complaint, so I hope it will work. This is one of those times when I wish I had a loner or test unit. Anyone out there in PLC land ever created a virtual axis in a L32E?

I can't answer your question about the virtual axis, but I thought you might be interested in this: http://www.amci.com/plc-modules/plcmodules...imit-switch.asp I have used AMCI products with SLC and PLC-5 and they make very good stuff.

Not sure if the L32E will support it but with a L61 we repalced an ElectroCam with a Virtual Axis and an MAOC Instruction.