Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flemming007

USB to Serial

5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone has the pinouts for a USB to Serial cable? I now have a C200HX-CPU85-ZE and a laptop with USB only ports. I know I can buy a adapter at any electronics store but I like making my own cables. I would appreciate any information. Flemming007

It's not a cable, it's inteligent adapter (it has embeded electronics in one of the plugs). You'll have to buy one... Edited by panic mode

It may not be apparent considering how small some of these USB to serial adapters are, but panic mode is correct. There is some complicated circuitry inside those plugs. Some are very inexpensive. I have bought them for under $40.

Many of them do not work very well. I have a HP laptop and purchased several USB/232 converters only to have drop outs etc. Purchased the Omron one and it works very well. Not cheap though.

Hi Guys, Thanks for the info, I was sent to a Omron PLC-Course in January and I took my laptop because the Engineers couldn't give-up theirs. The Instructor got the cables and the adapter and downloaded the software to teach the course. And just as BobB wrote it started dropping the connection. This was with the Omron USB to Serial Adapter. I checked this sight before I left for the school and read BobBs replies to another forum writer. I disabled my internal modem and I downloaded the latest SYSWIN 1.7.3.1 and the next day I didn't have any problems. There is one laptop at work with USB ports and the Technician is having problems with it dropping out. I have already informed him of the changes to his laptop but he hasn't made any changes to it yet. So until I get a adapter and start using my laptop again, I won't know if I really fixed the problem. I hope some of this info helps someone. I am going to try and find a adapter that I can play with ( disassemble and check out ) I like to keep my connections down to a minimum. Thanks for the info again. Flemming007