Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colin Carpenter

Com Port Re-Director

9 posts in this topic

I have an E900 with an ethernet card that I use to transparently programme a Q2AS CPU via a crossover ethernet cable connected between by laptop and the E900 ethernet card. I currently use the freeware HW VSP com port director software (v2.5) that can be found at HW Group In all fairness, it works pretty well, but I find that it's a little "flakey" and quite often comes up with Winsock "Host refused connection" errors. The best way to use it is to switch it off when I've finished and start it up just before I start monitoring which seems to solve most of the issues. However the other day, I forgot to do that and managed to fault the PLC twice (flashing red light, needed a reset) purely by clicking on "online edits mode" in IEC Developer. The first time I didn't realise it was me, but the second time I certainly did. Big embarrassment and three wasted hours as running pasteurisers full of cream don't like being shut down that quickly So now I have an E1100 on my bench with a Q2AS keeping it company and thought that I'd try and find something that worked seamlessly. I don't mind paying for it if it works properly, but I've downloaded umpteen trials and can't find anything that seems to work other than the HW one. I liked the look of the freeware Lantronix 4.x software and have tried that, but I can get the E1100 to connect, but as soon as I try to send data from IEC Developer, it just shuts the port down. I know that Beijers tech people occasionally pass through here ...... just wondering if you can recommend something that works flawlessly ... am willing to cough up money if it does as it's becoming a heart stopping process every time I go online with IEC Developer now. Thanks.

I had the same problems once and Beijer recommended me a software (actually free too) that worked pretty OK. I don't remember it right now and there was something special about the version but I'll call them in the morning and check it out..... As I remember it, it worked "pretty" OK and stable, but it's still a porting software which I cannot say that I like to use..... Why not try to get an ethernet card for the PLC?

Serial-IP from Tactical Software used to do the trick with GX Developer, I can't comment on GX IEC Developer. I haven't tried in years though. It was not free software.

Hi. Talked to Beijer today and they recommended Tibbo (version 3.12) which they had tested and found functional. This is a free software, but you cannot find it in Tibbo's web pages anymore (obsolete) and the software only works with windows XP. I got the software from Beijer and can e-mail it to you if you PM me your e-mail address. They also recommended Serial-IP (like Crossbow mentioned), and they told me that this software seemed to work better and faster than Tibbo, but you'll have to pay for it.

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopi...amp;hl=redirect Just in case you need a Plan 'B' or 'C'

I did read that thread, downloaded the info and the Lantronix V4.x software, but after an hour or so of fiddling, still couldn't get it to work. It would connect, but then drop the connection as soon as I tried to send anything. The Q2AS is fairly old, so maybe that has something to do with it. One thing I did notice, which isn't apparent, is that virtual com ports, once created, seem to "stay there" even when the software is uninstalled ..... presumably because the info is still contained in the XP registry. I have yet to find a way of removing them from the registry .... and I'm pretty sure that once allocated they stay allocated....regardless. It may also cause problems (I think it does) if you try to set up a virtual com port with the same number as one that has already been allocated.

This might help to remove them. http://ltxfaq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ltxfaq....amp;p_topview=1 I think I use version 3.1. I remember trying version 4 and it didn't seem to work as well.

Thanks for that and to Kare for sending me some files. Time ran out on me today .... but will get there soon.

After a long time away due to an excursion into the world of Allen Bradley, I finally tried the Tibbo software in anger, and it works beautifully .. no fuss, it just works and carries on working. Many thanks Kaare