Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DavisIMI

Problem communicating with 5/03

17 posts in this topic

OK, I have 2 5/03's at 2 different plants. Both have HMI's connected to the channel 1 485 port. At the 1st plant I have no problem connecting to the slc through the 9 pin port with my laptop, at the 2nd plant I cannot get on line with the slc. I've changed the channel configuration to match the one at plant #1, they are exactly the same all across the board, on all channels, and I still cannot communicate with the slc 5/03 at plant #2. It doesn't show up in RSLinx or anything. The second channel is set as DF1 on both processors. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Edited by DavisIMI

How did you change the channel config if you cannot get connected? Is there a memory module that changed the config back after you changed it? Is there any thing normally connected to the 2nd slc serial port? Post the .rss file and someone may spot something. Edited by Mickey

I unplugged the HMI and connected with my PIC cable. I want to leave the HMI connected and connect with the serial cable, I forget the number of the AB 9 pin cable, but I have it and connected to the slc at plant #1 with the HMI connected. Thats what I want to do at plant #2. So I changed the channel settings to be exactly the same but still cant connect through the serial cable on channel 0. Would the slc have to be cycled for the changes to go into effect? I didn't try that, I just made the changes and restarted RSLogix and RSLinx. 5054 is plant #1 file 5054.RSS Edited by DavisIMI

This is Plant #2 file UNTITLED1.RSS Edited by DavisIMI

Both slc's have HMI's connected to channel 1. Nothing connected to channel 0. I connected to #1 through channel 0, the 9 pin connector, with no problem. I couldn't connect to slc #2 so I changed the channel configuration to be the same as slc #1, by disconnecting the HMI and connecting with my PIC cable. But I still could not connect through channel 0, the 9 pin connector configured to DF1 in RSLinx, the exact same as slc #1, after I made the changes. Like I said, these are 2 5/03's at 2 different plants, with the channel configurations the same. Am I missing something? I really need to get this resolved before Monday. Thanks in advance.

The configuration for channel 0 in the files you posted are not default settings. See picture below for the default settings. Note control line protocol setting. Change it to " No Handshaking". The cable you have may not support "Handshaking". Give it a try. Also note baud rate. After you make the changes delete the PIC driver, restart RsLinx then configure the DF1 driver and click autoconfigure. The proper cable is a simple null-modem cable.

What picture?

Sorry about that. Will try again. This would only matter if the cable you are using did not have handshaking lines. And again make sure only one driver is configured in RsLinx. Don't want any conflict with the serial port. Edited by Mickey

I had the PIC driver disabled before I configured the DF1 driver so there was no conflict in RSLinx and I had the no handshaking option changed to Full Duplex. I still couldn't connect. This went on for over an hour, I'm sure I had all the parameters the same in the channel configurations but I could have missed something. I just don't see how I can connect easily at plant #1 and have the same settings at #2 and not be able to get on line with the processor.

The PIC driver can still be a problem, delete it. What happens when you click on autoconfigure? Another thing you can try is delete the Harmony files. See procedure below. Delete all drivers in RSLinx first. After deleting them Rslinx will recreate them next time it starts. To Delete Harmony Files -------------------------------- 1. Close all software including Rslinx Classic. If Rslinx is "running as a service" disable it ( to disable Rslinx from "running as a service" refer to answer ID 31054 ). 2. Then, go to Windows Explorer and , refer to the computer's hard drive ( for example C drive) where Rslinx Classic is installed. 3. Next, click on the + sign next to the Program files folder, click on + sign next the Rockwell software folder and, then, double click on the RSCOMMON folder. In the RSCOMMON folder two Harmony files ( Harmony.hrc and, Harmony .rsh ) should be displayed. One of the Harmony file may be displayed as Harmony this is okay. 4. Delete each Harmony file ( Harmony.hrc, Harmony.rsh or Harmony) individually and, then re-open Rslinx Classic. DO NOT Delete HRMYUI.DLL Edited by Mickey

I did delete the PIC driver, I always do when I use a differnt driver on my laptops serial port because it takes over com port 1. As far as auto configure it said unsuccesful check cable connections and something else blah blah. Its the same cable I used at #1, AB CP3, I think thats the #.

HMMM? That's the right cable. Did you try the harmony file trick? I'l post a PDF below just in case, its a step by step for RsLinx DF1 driver. You might try manually configuring RsLinx to match the SLC's port configuration. rslinx_setup_serial.pdf

Thanks for the info. I know how to configure a DF1 driver, I'm no PLC expert by no means but I have been doing this for a couple of years now. Please don't take this as me being rude, I really appreciate the help but thats why I'm asking for help, I've done every thing that "I know" to do, as far as configuring the channels and the drivers, I just thought I might be missing something in that department. As far as the Harmony file thing, I wont be able to do it until Wensday, what is this Harmony file thing anyway? I know I could go to the #1 slc and connect with the cp3 cable now, I've done it several times so far. I'm working between these two plants, I just have to unplug the HMI at plant #2 to connect with the PIC cable and I need to leave the HMI connected for the start up of the drive. THEY HAVE THE SAME CONFIGURATIONS FOR THE CHANNEL OPTIONS, their identical. It should work, right? Could something be wrong with the 5/03 as far as the channels are concerned? Thanks again for all the help. Edited by DavisIMI

sounds like you have them both configured correctly....if you're using the same laptop (or pc) to communicate to either, then it shouldn't be the PIC driver. It could be the serial port....best method to check would be to swap it out with another slc, or setup a unit on a desk somewhere. You should be able to get a 503, rack and p/s rather inexpensively. If you can communicate with the test unit its not the cable, or your s/w and h/w. I would probably be a good quess then that its the 503 itself. There are other methods to check the port but they would require programming, and a good knowledge of serial communications and the rs232 h/w. In this case that would still probably not save you any time or money. bob

I only use the PIC driver at plant #2 because I cant connect with the DF1 driver on channel 0. I communicate fine with the 5/03 at plant #1 with the DF1 driver on channel 0. Thats what I want to do a plant #2, so I changed the channel configuration to match that of the 5/03 at plant #1, but to no avail. When I try to auto configure with the DF1 driver it says I need to check cable and connection. I use the same cable, CP3, and the same laptop at both places. ??????? I guess it could be the card, I haven't thought of that. I've been thinking of getting one anyway to have a setup at home to do some testing on projects and some HMI training. I only have a 5/01 now and it kind of limits the things I want to do. Thanks for your input,

I agree with Bob, that you may just have a SLC with a dead serial port. I have seen a handful of these over the years. Sometimes a power cycle will restore communication when one is just locked up. Other times, there is damage that requires swapping the SLC. Do you get any activity on its comm LED when you connect and attempt to autoconfigure or go online? Paul

Sorry it took so long to reply, as far as the status lights, I'm really don't remember, I'll have to check next time I get to work on the drives. As far as that goes, I don't know when that will be now. The plant is short on m-men this week so the don't want to let someone go, " to watch over the contractors ", LOL. Company policy. So they'll let me know when they want me back to finish. Right now drives are on manual by-pass. Thanks Paul, Bob, and Mickey for your comments and suggestions. Edited by DavisIMI