Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nguyenthanhcanh

SLC500 communication

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I want to make a network for programming and SCADA at the same time from control room. PLC is some PLC: AB SLC5/03, SLC5/04, SLC5/05 and MicroLogix1000, MicroLogix1200 Please advise me some configurations for the connection? Low cost is considerable. Thank you.

If you use ethernet, you can use the 1761-NET-ENI or the Digi IAP to connect to the serial ports of the PLCs without built in ethernet... Since you have such a variety, including some with ethernet, it is probably the best common denominator to build from. Paul

I'll second Paul's recommendation. Just remember the Net ENI limits your data bandwidth to the serial port speed {19,200 or 38,400}. You won't have full 10/100 ENET Bandwidth even if the ENI is labeled 10M or 100M on it's ENET Port.

I have refered 2 modules from Prosoft: 1. EtherNet/IP to DF1 Master/Slave Gateway 5201/5202-DFNT-DFCM(4) 2. Wireless DF1 Master/Slave Gateway 6201-WA-DFCM How about these modules? Possible to online RSLogix software for program maintenence and SCADA software at the same time? If I use CITECT SCADA, what protocol will be selected, Serial (Half-Duplex DF1) or Ethernet (TCP/IP)? Edited by nguyenthanhcanh

Prosoft modules don't work like that. They are protocol gateways, not bridges. On the PLC side, it will scan the PLC updating an internal data table. On the Ethernet port, it will serve up data almost as if it's a fake PLC. You CANNOT use them as a bridge, so you can't do any sort of pass-through to program the PLC. Either the NET ENI module, or the Digi One IAP are true bridges and let you pass everything from one port (and protocol) to another. If you use Citect and connect to the serial port, then you would use the serial protocol (DF1). If you use a protocol converter (or a PLC with Ethernet), then you use the Allen Bradley Ethernet protocol. If you use a "serial server" with port emulation, then you use the serial protocol on the virtual port. An even better option is to get either a Kepware OPC server and use that for the communication. I'd recommend RS-Linx but it is more expensive and less stable and has scalability problems as well. An example of a "serial server" type device is the Digi One SP. However, watch out for this one! You can use multiple programs (program and SCADA simultaneously) but only from ONE single PC, not multiples.

I think you can use 1761-NET-AIC for comunication all SLC and Micrologix by DH485 network. Detai you can contact me by mail thaingoc@hcm.vnn.vn. I'm in HCM - Viet Nam.