Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobB

Citect/CX-P USB/RS422 to C200HS

4 posts in this topic

I have just commissioned a new SCADA system where there are old C200HS PLCs that are failing. Total of 7 onsite all networked with the old LK401 and comms to an old SCADA system via RS422 multidrop. Configured a new Citect SCADA system and went to site with an Adam 4561 USB/232/422/485 isolated converter. The device is also powered by the USB port so no power supply required. 2 of the old PLCs have been relaced with CS1 PLCs. The communications to these are Ethernet. Set up the SCADA computer with FINS Gateway 2003 running on Vista Business. Most inportant - TURN OFF UAC in Vista. Installed CX-P on the computer also. Conected the Adam 4561, opened CX-P (turn off serial CPU in FINS Gateway first) and the connection worked immediately. Turned the serial CPU back on and Citect connected immediately to the RS422 PLCs and the new Ethernet PLCs. I was onsite for 4 days switching between the 2 communications methods and never had a drop out or communication problem at all. At about 5PM each day the computer ran Citect only and we arrived back onsite about 8AM the next morning. No communications loss by Citect to all PLCs overnight. My only small complaint is that you cannot run Citect and CX-P at the same time using the FINS Gatway method of connection. This method of connection is only available for CS1, CJ1, CP1. Highly recommend the Adam 4561. Runs like a dream, needs no power supply and is isolated. Connection is by terminal block and you can select which interface you require by connecting to different termonals. Hope this is useful to someone.

I guess that's the advantage of using CX-Server OPC for third party SCADA connections - that both it and CX-Programmer are then using CX-Server so there is only one Windows application locking the serial port. Bertie.

The other old PLCs are to be replaced shortly and they will all then be on Ethernet and the problem will no longer exist. I normally use the latest PLCs but this is an old job. FINS Gateway is available for all the latest ones and for Citect as well. It works extremely well with Citect and that was the main object of the recent excercise. Citect have re-written their driver to FINS Gateway and it includes FINS1 words for the old PLCs, FINS2 words for CVM etc and FINS3 words for the latest PLCs. The different types are for access to different memory areas (W, T, C, the old ones were all T - mixed area etc). I have only had a couple of experiences with OPC and they have not been pleasant. OPC is not on my list of preferred options. Would much rather use FINS Gateway. By the way, I believe the new version is now available.

Kepware is pretty good as well Bob, has a lot or options as well. the only down side having to add the tags to the Kepware server, creates a bit of extra work, but not too much.