Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheEquineFencer

1746-NIO4I usage possable?

9 posts in this topic

To start with,I'm a real newbie to all this. I have 1746-NIO4I I'd like to use to monitor DC input voltage for a homemade wind mill. The DC Voltage will probably be going from 0VDC to 90DVC max in a worst case situation. Is there a way I can adapt this module for what I want to do? I see that the MAX input rating is 10VDC. I'm looking a cheap way out. I'm building this for home useage, so building something to adapt it is right up my alley.

Voltage divider. http://www.google.com/search?q=voltage+div...lient=firefox-a

Greetings ... and welcome to the forum ... my distinguished colleague Mickey has answered your question and gotten you on the path of adapting the DC voltage range ... I’ve got a bigger question ... no offense, but you DID say that you were new to this ... do you realize that you’re also going to need a chassis, and a power supply, and a processor, and RSLogix500 software, and a communications cable just to get started with this project? ... now it’s quite possible that you already have all of that – if so, party on ... but if you’re REALLY new, then you might not realize that your input module is just one piece of the puzzle ... hopefully you’ve got it all under control ... if not, just post again and we’ll see if we can help you along ...

I was thinking of something along the lines of a voltage divider, using resistors to drop the voltage, but I could not for the life of me remeber how to do it until Mickey woke up my other brain cell with that post. Thanks! Yes I am aware of what's needed, I have the above mentioned items. What I do not have is working software yet. A copy of 7.10.0.9 "mysteriously appeared" on my computer after my geek nephew left a while back, but it has RSlinx 1.72. I used it so I could write programs here at home to use in class at school. It made things go a lot faster. I'm looking into buying the real software in a few weeks. I think I might have to go with XP Pro for my operating system on the Laptop I want to run it on. I've not figured out how to get just RSLinx for free off the Rockwell site as of yet. Or might I say, I may have it downloaded and have not figured out how to get it installed. I downloaded something that I thought was it that took forever and have it on a thumbdrive. I'm not a real geek when it comes to things like that. I'm just good at figuring out what I want and how to get it done by "networking from my freinds" I think that's the techno term my nephew uses. I have a 7 Slot rack with a 1747-L532C/D CPU, (2) 1746-IA16 16-input 100/120VAC modules and (2) 1746-OW16 16-Output (Rly) 240VAC plus this analog card and power supply to play with. I want to learn PLCs as I see it as a way out of for me to get a paying job. Thanks, for your input. I'm trying to do this on a shoe string budjet while I'm out looking a job.

Welcome to the forum. I will add that this group is very serious about legal software and mentioning that your software "mysteriously appeared" sounds fishy. It is nice that you are going to purchase the Legit software in the near future. Good luck with your project.

if the RSLinx that you have is working, then I'd recommend that you hold off on installing the download ... reason: when you purchase RSLogix500, a copy of RSLinx will come with it ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

A voltage divider circuit sounds like a good answer to your problem; however, I would assume that the 90VDC is going to be on the output of your windmill therefore of reasonably significant power. With that assumption, you need to make sure your divider resistors are of sufficient resistance compared to your load to adequately limit the current through them. I am curious, what will you do with a 90VDC output? Generally I thought systems such as yours would step down that voltage to a range that would be acceptable to charge a battery. Russell

Sorry for such a late reply. I'm using DC servo brush type motors for the generator. The faster you spin them the more voltage they put out. The ones I have a rated at 90VDC, my target RPM is around 320 RPM for 14.6 VDC. To get the max 90VDC out it would be turning around 4000 RPM, I doubt I'll ever have that much wind. The projects on the back burner for now, shortage of money and about to get canned at my new job. If it last the next two weeks I'll have the software to start back on the project.

I would consider a digital panel meter with analog output to provide isolation and efficiency although the initial cost may be more, it might save your >$800 analog input card from destruction. PAXD + PAXCDL The above items would cost around $335 to $380 depending on which model you choose, but you'd have a full time digital readout of voltage and you could add the analog option later when you get your software license. The PAXD can handle +/-300VDC and you could even add a relay output card to engage your motor brake when a tornado is detected... Paul