Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
308guru

Looking for small 3 digit display to use with ML1100

17 posts in this topic

I have a small project where I will be using a ML1100 and I would like to find a simple 3 digit display to use with it. The PLC will be in an enclosure and the display on the plc will not be viewable. I would like to display an integer value (representing quantity) which can be up to 999. This location count down by one each time a test is passed successfully. Are there any small displays that I can connect somehow to display this value? I don't want a panelview type display, as I have no need for all of it's functionality or buttons. I'm thinking something similar to a DIN mount Red Lion CUB5 or something. I don't know how that would work, just looking for suggestions. Thanks.

How do you want your display to get the value it needs to display? By analog output from your PLC? (Could be off as calibration drifts) By up/down increments triggered by discrete outputs? By communication with the PLC?

Might this work? Electronic Operator Interface InView™ Message Displays 2706-P42 and -P44: Simple and Effective Product Specifications * One or two lines of text * Message length can vary o 12 to 40 characters

You may want to look into the optimate panels at automation direct. They have more power than you need, but probably the cheapest way to get a digital display, and one of the smallest. the analog could work well with a red lion unit too. If you used the whole range and scaled it in the Red Lion to 0-999, I doubt you would experience inaccuracy. Paul

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to take a close look at both the Optimate and Red Lion ideas. I think the Optimate looks like the easiest and best suited for my application. FinFin, I looked at the In-View displays but they are much too large for my application. They are nice and simple, the idea is right, just not the scale. Thanks for the help!

I see that the smallest In-view is larger than I thought!. The Micro 300 PanelView is only a 2.87 x 1.67 in view area... If that is worth looking at. Let us know what you find. Edited by finfin

I second the Optimate. But buy it directly from Optimate. http://www.optimate.com/products/optimate/index.html

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll be looking into the Optimate.

Ran into a stumbling block. I am using a barcode scanner with this system. It is using the DF1 port. This hasn't been a problem in the past (larger systems) as I've been using a scanner on DF1, a PV+700 and ML1100 on ethernet. Hmmmm.

Can you use the one on the processor and put a window in the enclosure?

Do you have a spare analog output? If so, then follow the red lion link and download the manual for the CUB4V. I believe you can turn off the decimal point and easily scale a 0-10vdc signal to read whatever range of integers you want...simple, faster updates, and cheaper too. Paul Edited by OkiePC

I was excited about this option as it seemed like a great solution and cheap too. Then I realized that my ML1100 doesn't have an analog outputs on the base. I don't have any analog modules either. I may wind up cutting a window in the enclosure and using the display on the plc. It's not very easy for an operator to read though, which is why I was pushing this option off. Mike Edited by mckeand13

http://www.electronicdisplays.com/product_...ategoryNumber=9 They supposedly have Ethernet. Just did a search for "Ethernet 3 digit display". Could also try "Ethernet numeric display". Could you use a discrete output to pulse a counter?

Okay, you might try a Digi one-iap, or a port splitter of some sort, but whether or not it will work with your barcode scanner is probably going to come down to a try it and see approach. I hear good things about A/B port splitters but have no first hand experience...

This could work... a count down counter... http://www.ledgible.com/cut-sheets/2600.pdf

I did a bit more reading and decided a Red Lion Cub5 was the way to go. I got one for about $105 from Digikey. Got it all hooked up and it's working well. I am using the PTO output from O:0.2 and sending it a 6 pulse output based on an input signal. I am using O:0.0 for a reset and O:0.1 for a subtract 1 count. Both of those needed pull down resistors in order to work. If anybody else would like more detail I'd be happy to help out. Thanks for alll of the replies !

Hello, There is a new product with PanelView !!! PanelView Component. They are dedicated for Microlgix and SLC / PLC ( serial & ethernet possible ). There is no software to program them. you are directly connected to the PanelView with a web browser. This product start with 2" & 3" & 6" & 10" bye