Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MattS

PanelView Plus with Micrologix 1200

12 posts in this topic

Hello there, Now I am trying to Link a Panelview Plus 600 device with a Micrlogix 1200 via the RS232 serial ports. Both devices have programs working on them, ie the program that triggers the PLC from the computer is on the PVPlus. Apparently there are some settings to make this work. Does anyone know what they are?

Hello Matt, Whats exactly the issue you're having with the devices? ie, have you already set up the RSLinx Enterprise shortcuts from the PV to the PLC? What do you mean when you say the program that triggers the PLC from the PC is in the PV?

Hi there, Thanks for the interest. The RSLinx shortcuts shown on the PV appear correct, ie the ethernet link to the PC and the PLC on a serial-DF1. I simply aim to connect the PV to the PLC via an RS232 cable. I have been using one labelled Allen Bradley PC to PLC, (nine pin D connector at the PV and round 8 pin at the PLC) but now someone has mentioned that this may not be correct and indeed I find the correct one is a 2711 NC21. So I may make progress when I have one, which should be shortly. Here's hoping. I still have the problem of going online with the PanelView connected, since there is only one socket on the PLC, and when I use the PLC Panelview simulation it conflicts with the RSLogix at COM, and difficult to switch between the two.

Maybe this will help (see doc below) How_to_Communicate_between_a_PanelView_Plus_and_a_MicroLogix.doc Edited by Mickey

Thanks Mickey, that looks good and I will try it out. The article also mentioned a technote and I can't work out how to access this. Perhaps a search on words in the title....

Heres the link to tech note http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1

Thank you again. The technote is no longer available (I was looking on this site), which is curious, but I have been able to make some slow progress anyway. I obtained the correct cable, which is labelled PV to PLC, and followed the instructions in the previous download. There is still an issue with a conflict on COM1 which would be OK except that, once the FT View Studio program on the PC has used it to access the PLC, for making shortcuts and linking to variable addresses, it is next to impossible to restore it and go online. Even turning off the computer does not work but something does, sometimes. I'm not sure what it is. It appears random but a pattern may yet emerge. I have emailed Rockwell about this but so far no reply, so perhaps this is not common and there is a problem with my computer. For those that are curious, I have a Microlgix 1200 PLC linked to COM1 on my PC and a PanelView Plus 600 linked via ethernet to my PC. The PLC and PV link via a different serial cable, requiring frequent unplugging at the PLC, since it has only one socket. I am using RSLogix and Factory Talk View Studio. Another issue is that the Token expires on the FT View Studio and the program freezes, despite having correct activation etc. Hopefully these are both teething problems and can be resolved shortly. Answers may even lie somewhere in the mountains of Rockwell information so perhaps I will put on my tramping boots, get a big water bottle and start exploring. Edited by MattS

Rockwell has supplied the answer to the Token problem. This is to do with a timeout setting in the security branch of the System folder (technote 32566).

Finally I have an answer from Rockwell (not a technote). The solution to the conflict on COM1 is to access the services, through the control Panel\Administrative tools\services, or Start, Run, services.msc. Then turn of RSLinx Classic or RSLinx Enterprise, depending which one you need to use etc.

I am curious what you mean, I followed the link on 5-1-2008 and reached a technote labeled PanelView, MicroLogix & SLC RS232 Cables. which appears to be exactly what you needed? Perhaps you had an access problem from "down under"?

Bob, When I posted the link I had access to it myself. But when he said he had problems with it I then tried again. I could not get to it then. Rockwell appears to have made a change to their knowledgebase site, where some articles now need a tech connect contract to get to. ( I don't have a contract, so my search abilities have just been restricted a bit, oh well might have to spend more time in that lawn chair) Edited by Mickey

I just tried the link and access was denied so I guess I don't have the Tech Connect authority. We should have received a code but this was sent to someone about 6 months ago who now works in Australia and he hasn't supplied it so I'm stuck on the outside. However, emailing works, after a fashion. Rockwell said I didn't need a code, though it appears it may have saved both them and myself some time. A bit of persistence in the right area and I could have solved it myself. I figured there had to be a place where I could turn on and off the various subterranean devices that grease the wheels automatically.