Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phuz

SLC Testing without Expansion rack

5 posts in this topic

Good morning guys, I am working on a customer's SLC 5/03 program which uses (2) 13-slot racks. I want to do some online testing here at the office, but we only have one 13-slot rack that I can use right now. Is there a way I can inhibit the second rack (like you can in a PLC-5) so that I can go online without faulting out? I already tried setting all the individual slot enables to 0. Thanks.

From what I'm understanding from this technote, while modules can be disabled, the programmed rack size must match the actually rack size...and I would guess this includes expansion racks. The technote says there is no workaround. http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1

There is a possible work around but it is not glamarous or easy. If you go to IO configuration and declare that the expansion rack does not exist then you'll most likely get all sorts of IO not defined errors when you try and run the program live. But you can try the following: 1. Export the entire current program as an SLC library. 2. Determine two unique integer files that can be created and do not exist in current program {IE N77 and N87 for ex}. 3. Open a new blank program and create these two new integer files {N77 and N87 for ex}. 4. Import the SLC Library which was your old program telling it to replace the Inputs of the expansion Rack with N77 and outputs of the expansion rack with N87. 5. Now you will have no references to the expansion rack in the program and it can be deleted from IO configuration. This should let you run the program.

Thanks for the assistance guys. I guess I will just hunt down an expansion rack and hook it up. Being that the SLC is newer than the 5, it sure as hell is a lot weaker!

It was never intended to be a power PLC - customer demand drove it to where it is now, but it was intended from inception to be a PLC to meet lower end applications where a PLC/5 was overkill.