Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gary.wilson

Net -Eni Comms Problem

9 posts in this topic

Hi there , i wonder if anyone can help me or has anyone come across something similar, i have a compactlogix L31 processor that is connected to a local ethenet using a net-eni series D module, everything works fine to start with, i can browse the processor , RS view SE can access the processor to read the tags it needs too , but when i come back in the next day, the eni unti has stopped communicating. As soon as i power cycle the module eveything starts working again , and works for the rest of the day. I have several other net eni modules doing similar processes , they all work fine and all units have been set up the same way. Any ideas much appreciated

Just guessing here since you mentioned that a power cycle brings everything back…. Have you set the IP address and unchecked the BootP box? When you configured the device did you save it to ROM?

Hi Bob, thanks for your reply Yes have set IP address , bootp is unchecked and all saved correctly

What are the firmware revisions you're dealing with. Some processors and modules had "lockup" issues after time that went away in newer firmware. This would be my first thought.

I've witnessed the same problem described by OP with a power-cycle of ENI always restoring comms only temporarily. I don't know a fix as I haven't taken it to AB tech support. Customer got so frustrated that they swapped out MicroLogix for FlexLogix with built-in ENET just to get around this issue. This application used both HMI and MSG thru ENI. I've had other applications with only MSG and no HMI work fine using ENI. I don't know if there is any correlation.

I have had the exact same problem in the past. We found it happened when the device communicating with the PLC had an intermittant communications fault, whether it be from cabling or loss of power. The only way to get the 1761-NET-ENI communicating again was to cycle power. Never did report to Rockwell, what we found was that assuring that all communications to and from the PLC were "Read" messages seemed to fix the problem. The problem is pretty easy to replicate. I have done it in the following 3 setups 1 - Micrologix 1200 through NET-ENI to Controllogix through ENBT 2 - Micrologix 1200 through NET-ENI to Controllogix through NET-ENI 3 - Micrologix 1200 through NET-ENI to SLC 5/04 through NET-ENI In all of these setups, have MSGs reading and writing from the second PLC to the Micrologix 1200, size of about 40 words. Turn power off to the second PLC or disconnect the cable. Power back up and chances are the Micrologix will not respond until power is cycled to it. The trick seems to be in causing a communications loss in the middle of the write message, which has a few verification steps that the read messages do not. Of course, if this is the same problem that you are having and you are having the issue daily then is sounds like you need to verify your cabling

Hi Gents , thanks for your replies . have logged the issue with Rockwell now see what they come up with Will post what , if they come up with a answer Firmware for the deivce is , 3.21 , is there are more current verison out there ?

I've had the same problem but I have not been able to successfully replicate it. About once a month or so this happens.

I've had the same problem but resolved after do a little research but can't remember where I found it. Install Plc Logic reset in program so that when power is cycled there is a 90 sec delay to reset eni from processor via message reset. This resolved my issues with the eni lockups eni.bmp Tried attaching message set up but to big. Message Type (PLC2 UNPROTECTED WRITE) Source Element(ENI_RESET) Elements (2) Destination Element (010) Communications (2,248)