Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kcor

variable speed drive outside of control panel

5 posts in this topic

anyone recommend a variable speed drive that could be mouted on the wall, outside of the main control panel. Normally put them inside a panel, but for some strange reason, the maintenance manager in a plant in el salvador request that they be mounted on a wall outside of a control panel. Have not been to this plant before, but understand that the humidity is sometimes pretty bad, as well as the heat.

Most can be optionally mounted outside of a control cabinet, but not outdoors! Though I don't like to do it, I have done this with AB Powerflex and Baldor H2 drives On top of the humidity and heat, direct sunlight can be a problem with the clear cover over display. It will turn some plastic hazy.

The only good reason I can think of to mount the drive outside an enclosure is to provide access to read and clear faults, and change speed from the keypad. Most drive vendors offer mounting kits so that you can mount the keypad remotely from the drive. If the plant manager thinks that it's too hot inside the panel, remember that it's a lot easier to control the climate inside a small enclosure than that of an entire room.

I have installed the AB PowerFlex, as well GE AF300 drives both with enclosures and without...I much prefer doing it in the enclosure, and including the line reactor, control transformer, and control relays all in the same enclosure (depending on the hp of the drive of course). This makes troubleshooting easier, because everything is right there in front of you, and I usually mount a remote HIM on the cabinet door, along with local/remote switch and some indicator lights. I am in a cement plant and dust is ALWAYS and issue, so anytime I can get something in a cabinet I do. If you want, I can send you a couple of pics of a few of the cabinets I have done with the HIM and indicators on the door...

Thanks, have done some thing myself with some Baldor drives If you could post the pictures, would be great, always like to see how other folks do things, sometimes it helps me to see how I could do something better.