Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KFWSparky

Easy Q-series code downloader?

7 posts in this topic

I have over a 100 machines in the field with Q-series Plc's. Now I need to update software. The customer wants to do it himself. I need something REAL simple. I have GX Explorer 2 and the customer gets lost installing it. Anybody know of possibly a third party program to simply upload/download a single program?

You could put the program onto a Compact Flash card and load it in that way. I'd have to look up the process in a manual, as it's been a while since I've done that. It involves a couple dip switches on the front of a processor and a power cycle.

You can't use standard compact flash with a Q. It's a special memory card. But the memory card is the easiest method. Which CPUs are you using? Mitsubishi sells a program loader option for the Q. EQLDR01 will upload or download programs with the Q CPUs, but only the Q00J, Q00, and Q01, as these are the ones which do not support the memory cards.

those CF's are not radioshack variety and 100 of them is in the order of $300 x 100 pieces = $30000 which exceeds cost of having one person for a day or two even if that person had to fly five times to and from Japan. another option is to use just one CF and FedEx it back and fourth 100 times... imho, the REAL simple solution (that was the question I guess) is to ask them how much they can afford (time, downtime and $$$), what will they do if something is not right and who's fault it will be. then they will do what they are supposed to do - use someone skilled and have piece of mind.

What is EQLDR01? I also have a need for an easy loader for Q00 & Q01 CPU's.

Handheld program loader which can read and write from PLC via the 6-pin round serial port. c038e_056a.pdf

I am using the Q00J PLC. The handheld EQLDR01 looks like it would do the job, however I would have to get pricing on it first. I failed to mention that I also need to upgrade an E100 HMI on each system as well. I was looking more towards a PC program that was simple to use, but I do like the hendheld loader for the PLC itself. I may just end up setting up the software on the PC here at the shop, ship it to the customer, and program it remotely if they have internet access. Thanks for your help.