Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JeffKiper

Controlling remote I/O in 5000

9 posts in this topic

I am going to be out of town this weekend so I cannot reply until Monday. My question is how do I create a tag in the my CompactLogix that is going to control/read I/O in a ControlLogix remote chassis that is controlled by ControlNet. The I/O card are in the C-Net chassis [5] but have not yet been successfully configured to start scanning them yet. I will fix this Monday. The inputs are BINKS_RACK_5:2:I.DATA.0~6,outputs are BINKS_RACK_5:6:O.DATA.0~6 So would my tag in the CompactLogix would look like Control_Logix:BINKS_RACK_5:2:I.DATA.0 I cannot just run the I/O to the CompactLogix or I would. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Edited by JAK

How is the CompactLogix 1769-L32E connected to the ControlLogix 1756-L1 ? The picture seems to illustrate an RS232 DF1 connection. Even if the 1769-L32E was connected over Ethernet, it can't make an I/O connection to the ControlNet chassis. Only controllers with a direct connection to ControlNet (PLC5C15) or with a backplane-resident ControlNet bridge (1756, 1769, 1794, and 1789 controllers) can make I/O connections on ControlNet. Can you substitute a 1769-L32C controller, and connect it to the ControlNet ?

How is the CompactLogix 1769-L32E connected to the ControlLogix 1756-L1 ? Ethernet sorry I should have spec. it. Can you substitute a 1769-L32C controller, and connect it to the ControlNet ? No the big boss man will not go for that. He likes to show us being under budget. A Budget of $0.00 makes it real tight to stay under.

I am rusty on the details but the basics are simple. You are connected by ethernet and both are Logix 5000 processors so you have the option of either using an MSG Instruction or Produced/Consumed tags. The produced/Consumed tags over ethernet should be fairly easy once you read the help file on them.

On your RSLogix5000 open up your project and RIGHT click on the ControlNet module and select New Module. Add 1756-CNB/A and you have to name the card and put the new address like for RACK_5 it's going to be Node: 05. And after that on the 1756-CNB/A right click and go to New Module and add your input cards and output cards and after that you should be able to see your tags. In your tags you can find tags for inputs and outputs. It's going to look like ---(name of 1756-CNB/A):1:I-------(name of 1756-CNB/A):I.Slot[1]--------(name of 1756-CNB/A):I.Slot[1]----AB:1756_CNB_SLOT:I:0 I hope this is going to help you.

That's how you make an I/O connection in one of the 1756-series ControlLogix that has a ControlNet bridge in the chassis. But that CompactLogix doesn't have a ControlNet bridge, only an EtherNet/IP bridge. Probably the simplest thing to do is have the ControlLogix make the I/O connection, then Produce and Consume the same data over EtherNet/IP to the CompactLogix. The 1756 ControlLogix will be the "man in the middle", but the data exchange willl be fast and reliable.

You can't bridge Ethernet to CNET network for I/O control See TN 30669 for details, 3-rd picture in this tn is very close to what you are trying to do, except first rack in your case is Compactlogix This will be the easiest solution that will not require any extra hardware.

Contr_Conn why don't they support that? My counterpart created a case and the tech recommended it. What is the downside to it?

There is no downside, it simply will not work. To schedule controlnet rack with processor must be directly connected to controlnet or RSnetworx will not be able to read schedule out of it. You can send messages or program controller through the bridge, but you can't bridge scheduled connections. Read technote I posted above - it is correct. Edited by Contr_Conn