Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Transistor

RSLogix 500 freezes for a minute or more

7 posts in this topic

Version: RSLogix 500 7.00.00 (CPR 7) XP: Service pack 2 Licence: Single user installed on network drive. Copies of RSLogix installed on desktop and laptops. I've been using RSLogix intermittently for the past two years. I've always found RSLinx a bit flakey but put it down to traffic on our wireless network. However, I'm having the same trouble running the application off line. I've done a clean install on a spare laptop, it runs fine for a while and then hangs for 10s - 5 minutes. This can happen while editing or while doing something as simple as PgUp / PgDown. Often the File, View, etc. menu disappears and the menu area appears white. I've scoured the web but can't find any mention of the problem. I don't think I've an unusual setup so I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one. It's adding hours to my programming time and makes debugging very difficult - especially if someone is watching over my shoulder. Any ideas?

Contact tech support...

Never heard of it happening off-line and never for 5 min. It is not uncommon for our app to freeze for a few seconds when on line with a processor and it is worse when running RSTrends but never off line and for 5 minutes. You have something else wrong.

I've had that "hanging thing" happen to me on my laptop with several different brands of license dependant software. Totally unnerving! If you temporarily move/borrow the license to your laptop hard drive, does the same thing still happen?

Thanks for the replies. I had already checked with Support but they had no suggestions. I've raised it again with them. I could try the local licence and see if that makes a difference but I assumed that this was a "check at startup" thing.

I have had RSLogx freeze temporarily when working with a file stored on a network drive. When the IT people are tinkering it can be pretty bad. I have even had Logix report weird errors when trying to save the file at the end of a session. If this is the problem you have, you can try copying the file to a local drive before editing, then copy it back to the shared location at the end. Another thing that may cause interruptions with large files is the autosave feature. I have one or two large files that have experienced this. It can be disabled if it is a suspect.

Thanks all. I'm waiting for a response from support. OkiePC, I had forgotten about autosave. That could be my problem particularly on a wireless network. My desktop does seem to be more stable. I'll check it out.