Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crossbow

PDF library application

5 posts in this topic

I am looking for a means of building an offline repository for PDF files. I've got hundreds of PDFs from many PLC manufacturers, and right now, my best way to organize them is by building HMTL pages and FrontPage webs. I'd like to build a database, such as in MS Access, which would store a record for each manual, and I should be able to attach the PDF to the record so it becomes part of the database. I did a similar project years ago when working for a PLC vendor, using Lotus Notes. I created a database which was replicated to all Notes servers in the company. Each record showed the manual number, manual title, and had a field for attaching the original file. I can't seem to find anything to do this offline, without the Notes server. Any ideas?

Don't know if this is what you are looking for. Check out the database db1 and the table 1 field pdf. The pdf field is an ole object and you put it there thru insert object. db1.zip Basically I created a blank db1.mdb. Added table1 with fields of Name, Numebr and PDF Opened Table1 and typed in the Name and number and then used inset object to add the pdf. See what ya think CB.

how about trying Alfresco (free document mgt/open source) It also has a full text search over the documents, version management ..... www.alfresco.com for better examples www.alfresco.org for the open source version beegee

I think you can store files in Access as an "OLE Object" data type. The better database approach would be to store the data as a BLOB (binary large object) in an SQL database like MySQL or SQL Server. You would then have other columns like: vendor, date, description, etc. You'd then use a web server and scripting language to share the data. The HTML pages would be dynamically generated from the database - you create a frontend pages to enter and query the data. There are probably free open source projects to this end. My description is more relevant as a web based approach that would allow multiple users to share data. Your best bet may be to find a local application that does what you're looking for. I imagine a program like Google's Picasa (manages images) for pdfs. A Google search on "PDF organizer" or "PDF manager" should help you there. edit: There was a free utility that PC Magazine put out several years ago. It integrated into Windows and allowed you to add comments on files or directories. This index was stored in the registry and very quickly searchable. Would a similar approach be useful for you? Why are you interested in a database? For example, storing all of your files in a certain path with a consistent naming convention could work fine. Just use something like Google Desktop to index the files so that you can quickly find any. If you need more metadata or want to give multiple people access, then the SQL database driven web approach is probably the best. Edited by Nathan

Basically what I've done in the past is assembled CDs (now DVDs) of the manuals for various vendors. So I made a CD for Schneider. I used a web front end, and used frames. So my fram would offer 'PLC, HMI, Servo, VFD, and then when selected each would open a subset, such as Quantum, Momentum, Compact, and that link would display a page (made by hand) of the manuals which applied to that product. To simplify things, I'd like a database where I can have multiple choices in which categories a file would appear. An example for my current Mitsubishi DVD, the Q Programming Manual (which is part number SH(NA)080039) would apply to PLC Q Series and PLC QnA Series. So I have to manually edit the link on 2 pages when I update this manual. Add to that the fact that I am including file size in the table (which I have to enter manually as well) and it's a bunch of code to keep updating. If I had a database and I could attach the manual to multiple categories, then when I look up a particular category it can generate the page automatically. I've got discs prepared for Schneider (Modicon, Telemecanique, SQD, it needs some new manuals added) and Mitsubishi, and I've got the materials to build one for Omron. I was considering selling the discs on Ebay to try and recover some money for the time I have invested in the HTML front end I've built.