Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OmronFAQ

Data Links between CS1's

5 posts in this topic

I am interested in comments on data links between several CS1G plc's. Options include both Controller Link and Ethernet. Only need to send 10 words between each plc system. I am interested in reliability issues between each as we require a high level of reliability. Ethernet looks good because of its greater topology options ie. can also hang NS screen onto network but controller link designed for data links. We will also need to hang a PC running scada. Is there any issues with both sets of traffic on the network? Could this cause problems with Ethernet data links over say controller link? Thanks for your feedback :-8

If you are looking for reliable peer to peer communication between CS1-G plcs, the Controller Link is what you need. Ethernet can be used, but does not support DataLink, just Datagram. You can include NS10 or 12 Touchscreens with Controllerlink. The Scada PC can be included with PCI Controller Link.

OmronFAQ.... I aggree with Jay in that if you are looking for reliable peer to peer communication between CS1-G plcs, the Controller Link is what you need...U seem to emphasize the importance on reliability of the network...what is the consequence of the network been broken ???. Might i suggest using the Optical Fibre units CS1W-CLK52. At least you can mount these units in a ring topolgy so that if the network was broken in one place then the network will not drop out.... Also there are a number of topologys available with newer controller link units see attached. For the scada option of course you could have the PC sitting directly on the network or talking to one of the PLC's via ethernet. The second option means that you lose SCADA comm's if the ethernet PLC goes off lline..is this important?? Cost will have to be weighed up against reliabilty, flexibility...

New Promo Brochure for New Controller Link Units.. Controller Link wiring, startup, and upgrades are easier than ever. Controller Link supports T-branching, longer distances, more nodes (62), optical links within a network, changes during data link operation, and automatic settings for 1:N allocations. R112_E1_01.pdf

Thanks for the info guys. I will read the data sheet and investigate further. Our application requires minimal datalinks but large amounts of SCADA data. We also plan on having 5 NS screens on the same network. The ease of wiring and flexible topology, means its more attractive than a CLK network. I guess price is a influence in this case. I'll let you know how we go!!