Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scottmurphy

Controller Link

6 posts in this topic

I was having a conversation with a work colleague today regarding upgrading a C200 hardware platform. Currently there is 3 of these CPU's, all connected via controller link. He has been speaking to local tech support, they have said that controller link is on its way out, that ethernet is the way to go. Whilst I agree to a certain extent, I was unaware that CLK was going to be phased out? I know that Bobb is a fan of CLK, are you aware of this?

Everybody has their favorite network,and therefore "the others are on their way out." I can assure you that Omron has no plans to phase out ControllerLink.

Thanks Jay, I thought as much. I found it odd that it came from the local tech support here though.. Of late, the answers & response here are better and sometimes faster than what we have here anyway...

You beauty - no crashes and IT hate it. Just looking at and quoting a job now at a deep space tracking station here - controlled basically by NASA. 2 power stations - 4 generators each station - master each station and overall master as well probably and SCADA. Not hard to guess what I am quoting.

I've recently been using the CJ1W-EIP21 (Ethernet/IP) module (a few, actually) Just like CLK - use massive data link tables, and can make use of Omron's new wireless Access points and clients. All very fast and very robust. The king is dead - long live the king

Have not seen the wireless access points yet. Have quoted Ethernet I/P on another job with lots of Wago Ethernet I/P modules in the field and managed switches. Very expensive with the switches and added CAT 5 wiring (time with the cable not cable cost). Controller link only uses a twisted pair loop in/loop out. No need to wire 24VDC to managed switches either. The local Omron guru tells me there is more work involved with Ethernet I/P as versus Controller Link. Controller Link is very simple to set up I/O for each PLC and start using the bits/words directly. I gather Ethernet I/P is more time consuming. The one we are quoting now has a Citect SCADA over the top. Their Omron driver uses FINS Gateway and although it has an Ethernet driver I am not sure it would work with Ethernet I/P. Any experience there?