Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TerryRWood

RSVIEW 32 alternative?

12 posts in this topic

Hey Guys... We've been using VB to program my HIM interfaces (AB Industrial PCs) for years, we're tired of fighting the drives going out on these things so were are converting over to AB Panelview Plus, I am not pleased at all with their HIM programming software RSVIEW 32 (yea I know they are changing the name) it looks like it was developed for Windows 3.1, and is not intuitive at all. Can anyone recommend an “affordable” canned software package for programming the PanelView Plus Screens? TRW

For panelview plus screens, there is no other software available to author the screens except for the RS View Studio Machine Edition software that is produced by allen bradley, unless you hack the firmware or something...LOL... I assume the problem is you've already got these panel view pluses laying around and wanna use them. If you're looking for another HMI solution, there are others, but they involve either using a PC or windows CE industrial PC, which may be better for you because there are generally no hard drives in IPC Windows CE touch screens. BTY, here is a screen shot of RS View Studio. Dunno but wanted to make sure we are on the same page. This is the software I use to program Panel View Plus.

Yep... That's what I've got.....RSVIEW ME I've used several other packages with CMORE(Automation Direct) and Siemens (not my fav) I've been spoiled with using Industrial Gadgets with VB and getting to create some pretty slick interfaces... I had my AB rep come out to try to help me recreate some of my screens but I'm almost limited to doing screen captures of my stuff and hiding buttons in RSVIEW because it just does not have the functionality I want. TRW

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I suspect that most of your problem lies not with the software but with your familiarity with the software. Its got a lot more functionality than just the basic "drag a preset form and drop on a grid" configuration software of low end HMIs. Give us some specific examples of what you are trying to do and we can help. There is considerable experience available at your finger tips here.

I don't take offence.. I'm sure of it... I'm looking for things like Animated Toggle (without having to do hides of multiple items) simple start buttons with pilots Varing object states via shaded color animations ( am currently making multple colored pumps) I'm used to building screens with motors,pumps, tanks, pipes that change color or blink during state changes TRW

not sure how much this applies but.... There is a site http://www.softwaretoolbox.com/ that offers a number of 'canned' buttons and indicators and other stuff for use with various HMI displays. you might find something there that can help..

Maybe you guys can help me with another issue... I've tried downloading multiple example HMI codes from this site, but I can't get any of them to open. I've got RSVIEW ME 4.00 The only option I have is to open a NEW app.. but it only looks for file extensions .pba .pvc .pva .med none of which exist in the sample codes? TRW

all the examples that I see there are for VersaView HMI. They are rsview32 applications. rsview me is for CE based HMIs. the only examples that I have had any luck with are the the ones included with the rsview me software.

I'm stumbling though... Can I get some critique...see attached (SCC.apa) backup file TRW Oh well never mind... I'm getting errors saying "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload a file with that file extension." Lets try a zip.... Edited by TerryRWood

Hi All: I've been using AB's Panel View which I had to use their Panel Bulder Software but was very unhappy from it, So I've switched to C-More which is great for the price and graphics, user-freindly, But I had a problem with them because at that time they weren't able to communicate to my SLC 5/05 processors via E-NET and they also don't give you the capability of Read / Write to a (ST) File which was very critical for some of my applications , in the end my AB Rep talked me into trying the PV+ at first I hated it and already ordered another C-More but as time passed by I started to love my PV+ the RSView SE is a great programming software to use, 1 small thing that they are kinda slow in response and they can freeze up on me from time-to-time. Also I am using RSView32 to communicate with my Slc 5/05's which are pulling info from my PV+ so overall they are working out really great for me.

The .pba; .pva; and .pvc file extensions are for the older "standard" PanelView terminals and are created with A-B's PanelBuilder software. The .med extension is for the RSView Studio ME development file. RSView Studio ME is used to create applications for PanelView Plus terminals. It can also import the files from PanelBuilder to aid in migrating applications from "standard" PanelViews to PanelView Plus. In the thread title, you mention RSView 32. This is a completely different package that has nothing to do with PanelViews of any type. RSView Studio does, however, bear some resemblance.

Been a few years since working on the old AB PanelBuiler software. Just been working on a new project using Bosch Rexroth products. Their HMI is a CE Platform running a third party software application called Indusoft. This software is really impressive package but I have not seen it discussed in any forums. What a great package. Allows one to utilize their own canned objects as well as customizing your own. What is really neat is that one can utilize standard objects, modify them OR develop your own using an internal scripting language OR develop your own using VB language. The choice is yours depending on skill and complexity. Troubleshooting is a real breeze. One can modify/edit screens, scripts etc. on-the-fly. No waiting for a new upload. Here's the link:- http://www.indusoft.com/