Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparkotronic

Communications advice

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, I've finally managed to get some S7 courses through my employer and to celebrate this he has treated me to a shiny new laptop! My question is: what is the best way to communicate between the laptop and PLC/HMI? Is a PC card like the CP5512-MPI the best option? Are there any other types? Also is there one that will do both S7 and S5 Thanks in advance, Colin Edited by sparkotronic

It depends on which S7 you are talking to For instance if its the 315 2dp/pn then all you need is an ethernet cable

Bearing in mind that I'm a beginner! All our systems as far as I can tell are linked via Profi/MPI as most are 314's 1 machine has an ethernet card on it, but it is still accesable via Profi/MPI. Previously we have used Siemens PG's, but someone(Tha' boss) has made the decision to go with laptops.

dear friend, as you said earlier time, you want to communicate also with S5 controllers. For that option your laptop must have a RS 232 port (not USB to RS232 converter) plus RS232 to TTY converter. All the best. dekor.

I wish I knew what you were talking about! Maybe after my course, I will!

So you need to be able to go online via MPI (because of the 314 CPUs) Then you can use a PC adapter USB. It is reasonably cheap The CP5512 is faster and better, but it wont make a big difference with the MPI speed at 187.5k for the 314 CPUs. There are also 3rd part suppliers: www.deltalogic.de http://www.ibhsoftec-sps.de/ http://www.mhj-software.de/ They have adapters for both USB and Ethernet to MPI/DP. The same 3rd party suppliers also have USB to TTY adapters for the S5.

Thanks JesperMP The IBH Link S7 and the IBH Link S5 on the ibhsoftec site looks like they will do the job. cheers, Colin