Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tracy

Ultra 5000 using direct DF-1 connection to Panelview

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm interested in using a Panelview operator interface to control a Ultra 5000 servo drive. The Ultra 5000 sales brochure shows this as possible, but I can find no mention of it in the reference manuals for the drive or the programming software (Ultraware). I've used Panelview interfaces before with 1394 drives via DH-485, so I am familiar with, in general, how this works. I can't believe I can find no documentation on this. I must be missing something. Does anyone have experience with this?

I hope U5k uses modbus slave protocal

No expereince but let me say that the Lit Library is less than friendly on your topic. I did find refernece to a SendSerial set of commands in the C programming manual, which most likely would be how you'd send and receive data thru the serial post to a panelview. I also found in the isntallation manual the cable numbers for serial connections, but again no how to PV to Ultra. and yes it is selling point #2 in the product profile brochure. Think they'd document it better.

Did it say it was using a serial protocol to do this? I have heard of this being done over Devicenet, but never over the its built in DH-485 port. I have used a Micrologix, Compactlogix, and Controllogix to communicate with these drives over DH-485, but I don't think I could do it, atleast not with a Standard Panelview, because of the checksum calulations that would have to be made depending on what data was entered into the Panelview.

I have seen some documentation to do this I don't remember if it was a technote or not, but AB tech support should be able to supply the information you need to get a panelview standard to talk to an U5000. Alan

Ok there is a cable to connect the drive to a Micro 300 with DF1. That would take care of the checksum issues though I wasn't aware that the port was capable of DF1. http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1 Page C-8 of this manual also verifies that http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...in001_-en-p.pdf

Unfortunately, we've been cut off from AB tech support. We're working on resolving this, but it's still up in the air. Edited by Tracy

From a program that I have seen you define your integer variables and float variables under Global variables and you can acces these variables from your C program. I have not seen the panelview file but I would expect every thing to be addressed as bits of the integers, and then defined in the C program. Alan

Alan, Thanks for your response... This is where I'm stuck. I've assigned some Global Variables in Ultraware, and accessed them fine in my C program. No problem there. The problem is getting the PV to be able to access those variables. I'm getting error 683 - File access error on the PV600. Is a start, I've just got one button assigned on my PV screen, with a write tag address of B3:0/0 and a Indicator tag of B3:0/1. As simple as it gets... I'm sure the solution is simple, but hard to find with no documentation.