Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlurDavinci

Panel Message Display

9 posts in this topic

Hi Guy: I would like to use 3rd party Panel Message Display instead of AB InView Message Displays. Current SLC 5/04 equiped with DF1 and DH+ at CPU and another I/O Scanner (DH+) which is connected to Panel View. If I use 3rd Party Panel Message Display(can be with RS232 or RS485), How can I send ASCII messages out from SLC? Thanks

Change the CH0 protocol from DF1 to ASCII & write program using AWT & ARD http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1 awt.doc

I know that, But I would like to Reserved the DF1 for Programming and Monitoring. That Why I would like to know whether DH+ can do the job?

DH+ don't use 1746-Bas for ascii communication

Why would you want to use the serial port for monitoring rather than the DH+ connection? Does this third-party HMI have a DH+ (not likely) or DH485 option? Edited by gravitar

No. Is a normal Industrial Display. It had the option of RS232 or RS485. The AB PLC have to send Ascii text to the Display. Example: "200 rpm". or "100 m/min" or "100 psi". Single Line with character size of 7.2". The same as AB Inview except It do not have the AB Protocol. Thanks

You can set up channel 0 for two modes: User and System and switch between the modes programmatically. On the Channel Config general tab check the box to allow "Mode Change Enabled" and set the attention and mode change characters you want to use to switch modes... Or, in ladder logic, set S2:33/3 to enable DF1 and clear it to enable user (ascii) mode. You might have to get creative to get the logic you need for making the switch. That depends on your application. Maybe an external input?

Another option ( a little pricey ) is a 1784-PCMK card for laptops or KTX card for desktop. These will connect you to the DH+ network for programming and monitoring.

A 1784-KTX can be a very affordable option (~$50 on ebay) but it is an ISA card and not every ISA motherboard will talk to it. My experience has been that it is pretty hit-or-miss. A better (but much pricier) option is the 1784-PKTX. It is PCI and will work with just about any desktop motherboard you can throw at it, but the price is an order of magnitude greater than the KTX. Edited by gravitar