Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cartduty

FX2N concatenate

5 posts in this topic

Hello all! I was wondering if anyone knows an easy way to concatenate 5 Data registers into 1 Register. I am reading in a barcode, as it is currently setup each character is put into a single data register. I would like to move them all into one register for easy comparison. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

There is a good reason why the seperate characters were put in one register But more impressive was that word - never heard it before :) Main Entry: 1con·cat·e·nate Pronunciation: kän-'ka-t&-n&t, k&n- Function: adjective Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin concatenatus, past participle of concatenare to link together, from Latin com- + catena chain : linked together Edited by Goody

There is no way you can concatenate three (you want five?) registers into one. For example: 1001100010010101 & 1110010010010011 & 1000010000101010 could only be stored as a maximum of 32 bits (10011000100101011110010010010011) This would leave 100001000101010 outstanding in its' own field of glory and never to be recognised! Simplest way would be to have a bar code reader that can put the ID into the PLC (as Integer)! Best Regards Paul Ked Edited by Paul Ked

Typically bar codes are received as a string of ASCII text characters. Each character takes 8 bits to store, so each data register would typically get 2 characters, not one. And there is no way to store 5 characters in a single word.

Hello All, Just replying about my problem. It turns out we can get by with just looking at four digits. There is a HEX command that will put four ascii characters into one register in a hex value. And inversely there is an ASCI command that will take a four digit hex value and put it into four seperate registers in ASCI command. Thanks for all the input!! Edited by cartduty