Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
william

Use plc to print barcode

4 posts in this topic

Hi I have an enquiry from friend to help him to design a plc system to communicate with a serial printer so that it can print out barcode and transmit data to a computer so that barcode reader attach on the computer could decode the printed barcode and open a door. I would appreciate if anybody could guide me as to which plc is the most cost effective and easy to handle for this application. Would be glad if anybody could provide an example or past experience in handling such project. Thanks in advance. Regds Wt

Any PLC with a serial module capable of ASCII output should do the trick. The bar code printer would have to handle internally the encoding of that string of text characters from the PLC into the proper bar code. And with so many bar code formats out there, I would expect most bar code printers have some capacity for this.

I think most PLC's can do the trick depending on your experience and the target market you can do it with different brands. I have done somthings similar with the TXD/RXD (for reading from cardreaders) commands on Omron PLC's. But you could do the smae with other PLC's and maybe PC-based PLC's like Beckoff, B&R or Jetter will be more user friendly for these purposes. beegee

As I know one man from Lithuania is working on such product in Lithuania. Everything was Omron based. Email me. I can send his e-mail Ramunas