Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken Moore

CLX training

8 posts in this topic

AB has many training classes for the CLX platform. Was looking for feedback on which classes would be beneficial for someone with a strong PLC-5/SLC/Micro background. What is the best starting point, are the introduction classes required, or is it best to jump in somewhere else. Not looking for maint. (Ron B.'s class) , looking for programmer training. Looking to minimize time, more than the money.

Asked to your distributor to see what tech-ed sessions are available for it. Usually you have very basic ones but there are also ones made just for people like you. I have done several of them to get up to speed on some of the information level software. It has worked very well for me.

Hi Ken, I'm am moving towards Contol Logix. All our old projects were on SLC and a few on PLC5. What training would I prefer - - Chossing the right logix controller for your application [it was easy on SLC as there are not too many procesors to choose from], - Some understanding on tag infrastructure - In depth exercises on motion - How to handle fast responsed inputs and outputs [i heard there is no I/O interrupt available in CLX] - Topics covering function block and ST, maybe SFC, and their advantages over ladder. BTW, [off topic] Rockwell Singapore have seized their training, is there any plans to have it back in track again. Thank You Best Regards ___________

Hi, The answer as usual is .... it depends. I have taken the 2 beginner classes. CCP146 "CLX Sys. Fundamentals" & CCP151 "CLX Basic Ladder Logic Programming". The CCP146 class is good for getting the low level system basics, such as the different CLX family types & details of their associated module installation / setup. Chassis backplane considerations & compatabilities etc. This was good for me even though I have 20 years of working with PLC-5 & SLC-500. The CLX line of modules are almost all the "Smart" modules that need to be setup properly. The older PLC hardware digital modules don't have this level of features such as RPI / change of state / filtered settings. You can just slap a module in a rack & it works at default settings, but will it be optimal? The devil is in the details. If you don't know the details, it's hard to be a top notch programmer or a fast programmer, not that I'm either. But at least I have the knowledge to get there someday. The CCP151 class was all about the basic instructions. And I do mean basic (XIC, XIO, OTE, MOV, ADD,CPT) etc.. These are all the same as the older platforms. There were no advanced instructions discussed. I consider the class to be more suitable to beginners. I did learn a few things about the tag setup using alias. There was a lot of "Lab" time. Plenty of time to experiment with doing things in different ways on their hardware where there is no chance for equiptment damage. I don't have that luxury at work. Both classes are 2 days each. Some of the guys had never seen Logix 5000 before and were kind of lost in the CCP151 class. So it depends on where you or your co-workers want to go with it as far as being time well spent. BD

The "look & feel" of RSLogix is very similar in 5, 500, and 5000. You should have no problems with ladder programming. The SFC programming is substantially different from the PLC5, though. If you have worked with other computer languages (assembler, C, etc.), the tag-based data structure should not pose any significant hurdles. My recommendation is to buy the s/w (get all the languages) and a chassis, power supply, L6x processor, and ethernet module. Set it up and start playing. Try out some of your SLC and PLC5 logic and experiment with new ways of doing the same. I wouldn't bother with any I/O at the start - most things can be simulated in the processor. I think this will give you best value for money, you're going to need the s/w in any event, and you can always use the hardware in a project. And, of course, you can always get questions answered right here!

That was true at the very beginning, but now you could use Event-Based Tasks to react quite fast for Input changes.

Thanks for the feed back, I'm going to talk to the local rep's in house PLC guy next week, and see what he recommends.

My company has bought the OEM Toolkit. With that package you get RSLogix5000 Offline and RSLogix5000 Online. What you do not get is the fundamentals and how to startup a project. You can acquire those addon's but they cost an additional $750. I believe we are getting them, but I've had to muddle my way through a program. I've gotten one down, a simple one, but have yet to program the system for a SIL2 rated system. We will see whereI get with that one. I've had plenty of help from this board so if you are where I was a month ago, don't look at this place as a place just to play. There is a ton of good information here as well as some good people. Ken is one of those that is very good with helping. TWControls is another. AND NOW..... Back to my weekend!