Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
angeraer

Maximum number of Relais behind C200H-OD215?

18 posts in this topic

Hello, The specs of the OD215 module say : Maximum switching capacity : 16mA/4.5V to 100mA/26.4V 800mA/Common 3.2A Max. I have Omron LY2N-D2 24V relais. How can I calculate the maximum relais I can put behind this module? I want to use 80 relais to turn on/off all my home lights. Thanks, Andy.

if you can't figure out for your self, why the hell are you fiddling aroung with electricity for......

angeraer is saying that he has a OD215, I couldn't find this in my C200 documentation. However, I am assuming that it is a 16 channel output module, but he wants to switch 80 relays? Am I missing something here?

It can be used as a 32pt transistor output card or a dynamic 128 output through use of strobe.... (no he cannot use it in this mode).... look under the special IO cards (not standard)

first off all, some people try to learn things that's why they may ask stupid questions to your opinion. So my question. I think the relais consumes 36,90 mA according to the specs. And the maximum the output module can handle is 100mA to 3,2A for the complete module. So if I put 32 relais behind one module it shouldn't be a problem? (36,9 * 32 = 1,2A) Am I correct? I just want to verify before blowing up things. Thanks, Andy.

I thought you wanted to but 80 relays on it. As for the 32 I'm guessing you want one relay on each output. You've already done the math for the individual outputs and the overall. Now just do the group. 8*36.9=295.2mA Maximum per Point - 100mA vs your load of 36.9mA Maximum per common - 800mA vs your load of 295.2mA Maximum per module - 3.2A vs your load of 1180.8mA So before we say yes or no on it being ok let's get back to the stumper that left us all looking like What are you going to do with the other 48 relays? If you had said 96 relays we could do the math and figure out that there were 3 relays per output. But 80 isn't divisible by 32 and I'm not going to take a SWAG at what your thinking.

If have a lot of OD215 modules, maybe I said this wrong Each of these modules have 32 points (2 times 16). So for my 80 relais I would have to use 3 modules. I overlooked the 8 points/common and didn't understand where the 800mA/Common came in the picture! If my power supply can take op to 4A I may use a single power supply to provide the commons and 24v of all the modules? And the relais' coils should be put where the "L" are in the attached drawing? At least I'm sure that I won't blow up things. Thanks! Andy.

BTW, must be one heck of a house to have 80 lights in it. I don't even have 8!!!

Q1.Yes, Q2. Yes... also for the relays you should use a free wheeling diode across the coil also.

The LY2N-D2 already has built in diode surge suppression on the coil.

So too does the New G2RV relays... but my point being.... in not mentioning these specific relays, is because i wnated him to find out what a free wheeling diode is for him self... Doh!! missed the bit where he mentioned the relays he had.. thanks for the correction ESCI.... ( me dumb) !!!

Thanks for the help! ...and no its just a normal house.. I just installed 4km of cable so that every single light/contact will be connected to my PLC. Andy.

Just curious.. why... i am assuming you are using downlights... and lets say you have 4 in a bedroom wouldn't they all come on together anyways ? I recently did the electrical for my new house..which was a knock down rebuild... i thinke that there are 92 lights all up.... however i did not go the PLC way but C-Bus... this allowed me to have every light circuit i wanted to be on dimmable channel... i have a C-bus motion sensor in the hall way between the bedrooms which at night upon detection, brings the lights on a low level leading to the bath room and the bath room lights, for my kids if they get up etc...

4km of cable? Do you mean kilometers? Man you guys have got some big houses Sleepy - 92 lights!!! Yeah well.....I can compete with that.....let me go get my Christmas tree back down

I used to have 8 like you in my old house TW...

I like my 8 light house. Just the right size

wait till you have a couple more kids... mate

A couple more!?! Are you out of your mind? Well, atleast I have two nice workshops to escape to...